Curly hair

Hi There!

Any mum with curly hair babies?

We have a two years old baby girl and now she's growing some beautiful afro...just dont know what leave in conditioner to buy to moist and look after it...

Any recommendations before i get one?

Thank you:)

Thatiana

Awww, curly toddler girl hair!

Right, I have recentley had to learn some of this for my child. It depends on her hair, is the curl loose or tight? Mixed race or black hair? By no means an expert but we have used and like a brand called curly kids, they do curl cream for moisture and hold as well as schampoo and conditioners. They also have sprays and gels.

We have also used twisted sister I think it is called, it is a leave in spray for moisture, they also do curl creams and gels.

It is a jungle but I have had great help from the shops on rye lane. I have a habit of stopping people with curly hair and ask what they use. Everyone has been happy to share tips.

I have been surprised with the care that is needed, so much moisture! My son who has short hair needs curl cream at least once a day to stop his hair from drying out and itching.

In desperation I have been known to use moroccan oil....trying not to make a habit out of it as too expensive.

If she has loose curls I would try the curly kids range.

We use Africa's best kids organics detangling lotion as a daily moisturiser (after a little spray of water just before combing) and find it really good for both children, one with ultra thirsty tight ringlets and one with large soft curls. You can get it from Paks on Rye Lane.

For washing - both we wash no more than once a week, usually every 10 days or so. For the tight dry curls we never use shampoo, conditioner can dislodge dirt whilst not stripping the hair. We then smother in a very rich conditioner, comb through and leave in. For the less dry large curls we've found it OK to use a gentle cleanser type shampoo.

Curly Q is a really nice kids range and I found this sight

http://www.curls.biz/curly-q-hair-products-for-kids/

really useful for a lot of information and ideas. Nowadays (age 7 and 4) I am getting a bit more confident at having a look round Paks and choosing a few things to try, which tends to be less expensive. They also have spray bottles and combs with nice widely spaced teeth (feel the ends to see if they're nicely rounded).

Have fun!

Totally depends on the characteristics of her hair! There is so much variation in types.

The Kinky Curly range do a great leave in (called Knot Today) and a botanical gel that's helps with curl formation / hold. I'd say Shea moisture curling smoothie works for a lot of different types of Afro-mixed curly hair so that's a good product to try.

A personal favourite in our house is Oyin Dew but you can only get it in the U.S. It's incredible though!

I second not over washing her hair unless it's very fine and naturally oily. Curly hair tends to be naturally dry.

Use a moisturising shampoo and a rich conditioner as that will help loads with moisture. A leave in and some kind of oil (coconut or jojoba are both good) will keep her hair well conditioned and moisturized.

However her hair still might be frizzy, which is totally fine. Most people with really curly hair (mixed or otherwise) need gel and other styling products to combat frizz. Frizz doesn't mean her hair isn't healthy.

okay, im new to this too, my son is 3 and has type 4a hair. I think it is important to tell what type of hair she has first, i had no idea what this was but if you google 'types of hair type 4' you will be able to tell. From this you will be able to google and find forums and blogs of other womens (or men!) advice for this type of hair.

for my sons hair i was using a detangling spray but it really dried out and i felt like it damaged his hair. I find because their hair is so delicate i spray it with water each morning so it is quite damp, i then brush it through with a detangler (i bought lots from the ?1 shop in camberwell butterfly walk and they have been life savers) so it doesnt hurt him, i was using moroccan oil but it is soo expensive so i got coconut oil and jojoba oil 100% pure from a shop in peckham and they have been a godsend. If i want to hold the curls for longer i use a coconut cream on top of it.

I also got shea moisture kids shampoo and conditioner which is quite pricey but worth it. His hair has improved so much

I really recommend making sure products are natural, i found my sons hair was damaged when i tried lots or paraben full creams on it and i had to cut alot off. This jojoba oil has been amazing and has been keeping his hair moist all day.

Hope this helps ! Im no expert but its what has worked for my son !

http://blacknaps.org/know-your-hair-type/

Thank you everyone who shared something here...shes got mixed hair...curly and dry but i bought on ebay curly kids and i liked it so far...

Gonna try different things to see what works better for her...

Any suggestion on shower soap or bath...as shes mixed race she has a very delicate skin that only accepts olive oil, and since she was born iv been using johnson bedtime bath ...its ok...but wanted something more natural and suitable for her type of skin...any suggestion?

Thanks xxx

Thati

My 14 months daughter had patches of eczema on her cheeks and forehead for a while and Aveeno Baby wash has helped a lot. I also use the Aveeno Baby cream on her legs and knees almost on a daily basis as the skin tends to get a little greysh in that area. I also second Curly Kids shampoo, makes my girl's hair very soft and smells nice too!Every now and then I run a bit of argan oil through her curls to keep them hydrated.

Hello, glad the curly kids range was good! Like you say, trial and error until you find something that suits. We use Aveeno in this house too. My son is really dry and eczema prone and I have found Aveeno best. I use the bath oil for bath and shower and the cream oil to moisturise his body all over (twice a day). For his face/elbows/knees I use the cream in the tube or waitrose baby butter.

With kids, I would avoid buying chemical ridden products. Just make your own. I would do some coconut oil, some argan oil for hair, maybe so aloe vera, and some blended up fruit. Just do it all natural, and get a high quality argan oil, because sometimes the the infused argan oil bottles have harmful chemicals.