Southwark Planning Regulations RE Loft Conversions/Raising the Ridge

Hello Friends and Neighbours

I've seen a few dormer loft extensions starting to go up on nearby streets. One day I had hoped to do a loft conversion but have now discovered that I have too low clearance in the loft. Even with lowering the ceilings I will be unable to do a loft conversion unless I am allowed to raise the ridge of the house a little. Raising the ridge would require planning permission, and said permission is unlikely to be granted - although planning laws have been relaxed slightly and there is some hope for the future perhaps. I am banking on the regulations changing because I had hoped to live in this house a long while, and raise a family here, and have the kind of family life where others come to stay in a spare room instead of on a sofa bed - so a simple dream. (And not just about equity.)

I imagine I'm one of an increasing number of people in this position, I'm wondering if there is anything we can do about it? I understand the importance of planning laws to protect the aesthetic of the area, and I support that myself. But surely at some point the council is going to have to look to the slightly more liberal/progressive policies of e.g Wandsworth and Islington Councils, and follow suit? We are in the middle of a housing crisis and Southwark itself acknowledges that we need more family homes, and since the housing isn't homogenous around here anyway after so many houses were bombed in the Blitz, for how long will max. half a meter on the ridge height continue to be a serious issue?

Would like to know if anyone is actually having the same issues and would welcome thoughts and arguments for each side of the case...

With thanks

Emm

Get some of the loft companies in and see what they say. They are very good at eeking every last inch out of the planning regs. If not then lowering ceilings is an option in lots of the Victorian houses with high ceilings upstairs.

Try also to go see some of the lofts that have been done around you. I found that most of those who had done lofts were very happy to let others have a look and share info on who they'd used and what issues they'd had....and what they'd do differently if they were doing it again, which can be really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nunheadmum,

We would be more than happy to chat with you regarding your loft. We project manage loft conversions and kitchen extensions in your area.

Please feel free to give us a call on 020 3150 0505 or check us out at www.landmark-lofts.com.

Best Regards,

Landmark Lofts