Divorce Mediation Service - Any Suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I have been on here for years, but this is a new account for obvious reasons given the subject.

My partner and I are splitting - joint decision and amicable, but need to put some legal

stuff in place in terms of property, children etc. etc.

We want to use a mediation service and before I pick one randomly (co op seem to offer it as a service)

wondered if anyone on here can recommend someone? I don't even know whether we go together and agree

it all with one person solicitor/lawyer or have to have one solicitor/lawyer each.

Any help, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post

on her openly, I do understand it's a very delicate subject.

Thanks so much.

Hi there, just a quick post but I would recommend you look at the Resolution website. This is the organisation of Family law solicitors (and now Mediators) who follow a code of practice where the emphasis is on less adverserial practice. The website is a great resource in terms of providing info and links on all issues arising out of separation.

I am in a Family Law barrister but also a trained mediator and did my training through Resolution. It's one of the major organisations for training mediators be they ones like me coming from a legal background or others from a more therapeutic background. I would recommend going to a Resolution or FMC mediator as then you can be confident that they are regulated, experienced and also equipped with the knowledge and expertise to assist (especially in providing you with legal info in an impartial way)

Most of my clients come to me via their solicitors but this is not mandatory. You can both refer yourself to a mediator though it is likely you may want one further down the line if you resolve issues in mediation which you then want to turn into a binding agreement.

Any good mediator will explain the process to you both in any event and the Resolution website gives the low down as well as providing a list of mediators on London.

As someone who wears two hats I have found that in many cases, couples are able to sort out many of the issues they have via mediation and it is generally a quicker and cheaper process. It doesn't work for all but the emphasis now is on it being the first port of call.

Hope that helps

Jude

I recommend Lucy Thomas who runs her own private family mediation practice. She is based in Dulwich but works across South East London. She is a former family solicitor but now works as a full time mediator and is a member of Family Mediation Association (FMA), Family Mediation Council (FMC) and Resolution.

Her website address is www.lucythomasmediation.co.uk

Phone: 07493 611100

Hope that helps