2 year old sleep regression

So my son 2yrs 2months has hit a big sleep regression. About a month ago he started waking hysterically, with what seemed like nightmares ie really genuinely upset. This was about once a week and the only way to settle him was to bring him into our bed or me sleep on his floor (not very comfy!). However over the last 10 days he's waking once if not twice wanting mummy or daddy.

I've tried the ssh pat, a sleep sheep/white noise - that goes on and he starts getting cross knowing I'm going to leave him. Last few nights he's woken but not seemed very upset, ie no nightmares (I don't think), he is just calling for mummy/daddy. He absolutely will not settle until I lie on the floor holding his hand. There is no fixed time to the wake ups - anytime from 10.30 to 5am. I think he's now got in the habit of not self settling unless I'm with him. Tried controlled crying last night for 1.5 hours, gave up and ended up on his floor holding hands again. He wasn't crying hard during this time, just standing up with his will of steel gently crying for me. I've tried the ssh/pat going in every few mins but he get's more upset every time I go in. I'm exhausted and don't want a co sleeper. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks

Maybe try the leave him for 1 minute then come back, leave for 2 mins come back, then 3, then 5, then 10 or so.

Lets him know you are coming back.

I would say whatever you do though, don't drop the guard and let them into your bed. Make sure everything is done in their bedroom and their bed.

I'm not sure about the controlled crying, as its comfort being sought.

Best of Luck with it... of course it may simply be just a phase as well..

We did a "sleep all night in your own bed" chart.

Tick for each day. Small present after 5 nights, big one after 10.

Worked well. Now we've moved on to a GroClock ready for the move from cot to bed and that has a lot of interest. Still sometimes get called in when it's "night" but we either don't go in or go and explain it's still night (as it's still quite new).

We didn't have it as bad as you but I'm sure you feel anything is worth a try!

Friends I know still have to hold their older child's hands to get them to sleep so I always try to be really conscious of all we do, are we setting a precedent, can I see is always doing this etc

Hope you're all sleeping again soon!

Saffron, that's what I do - pull out a chair/bed and hold his hand. Trouble is, it has become habit and I want to spend the night in my bed tbh! He goes sleep well at 7 and at lunch time with no problem.

Ginster, I've done the bribery of a 'sweetie in the mornings for you don't wake mummy' but that's fallen on deaf ears, as has a sticker. Thinking he's too young to understand that concept just yet.

minimac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Saffron, that's what I do - pull out a chair/bed

> and hold his hand. Trouble is, it has become habit

> and I want to spend the night in my bed tbh!

Not sure what you mean? I think we might be talking about different things. If he goes to sleep on a duvet next to your bed, then you only have to reach over and pat his back when he wakes. You can stay in your own bed all night. After the sleep regression passes, transition him back to his room. xx