Ignorant or Careless ... Close that gate please!

It's common sense to close the gate shut at playgrounds or parks especially if the sign clearly says so. Most days, me and my friends take our children to Goose Green playground. And so many times I have to tell the person who left the gate open or run myself to close the gate. It's like they didn't come in with their children. Sadly, quite a lot of mums leave the gates open themselves. I sometimes wonder if some toddler runs out and have an accident - is this the call these people are waiting for to learn that gates are meant to be shut to keep children safe? Let's be vigilant for our children's sake.

It absolutely drives me bonkers when people leave the gate open .

It's a park with children , there is a busy road , there is a sign on the gate asking them to close it and still they lack the common sense to shut the gate .

I usually go and shut the gate after them whilst muttering loudly 'Can't people read ?! Shut the gate ! Do they want their kids to escape ?! '. It doesn't work though as they pretend they can't hear me.

Dulwich Born&Bred, I do too ! But how many times ??? Yesterday, my 2 year old and her 2 yr old friend were kicking ball by the ball area next to the 2nd gate and this mum pushing a pram comes in and just walked in without closing the gate. I gave her the look but I still ran to close the gate as our little ones are the first ones to likely run out that moment. After few minutes, she dashed out again without closing the gate behind her. I was calling to her but she was not listening or hearing me so I closed it again.This time I was already furious. 5 minutes here she comes again - and guess what ? she left it open again - that's it I told myself ' I'm telling this idiot what I think ! I still did it in a polite way tho- she looked surprised or probably secretly pissed that I called her on it in front of her friend. They both have babies and toddlers with them too. I hope after that - there is one less careless person that enters that playground.

Saffron that is definitely something I would voluntarily donate to. I'm sure a lot of parents who uses the playground would agree for their children's safety. Maybe I should research who to take this concern to. Thank you for the good idea.

Try applying for a Cleaner Greener Safer grant - it's exactly the kind of thing it would fund. I applied for a CGS fund for my kids' school garden project a couple of years ago and it was a very straightforward process. Try emailing James Barber (is GG in his ward?) for more details. See also: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/cleanergreenersafer (looks like you've missed the cut-off for this year though).

Thanks for the information redjam. I will check this out and will update this thread of the progress. Self closing gate would definitely make a good solution as we cannot trust everyone to think and do like us. Especially if one hand is pushing the pram and the other is holding coffee !