Nurseries Recommendations - Toddle On Inn /Dulwich Nursery

Hi

I have seen the nursery recommendation topic on here a few times, but wanted to see if anyone has any good feedback on the nurseries I've shortlisted for my baby girl, who will be 11 months when joining a nursery. I viewed a few this week and were quite disappointed with some of them, we live on Peckham Rye Park near East Dulwich Rd and need a good nursery on route to either Peckham Rye or East Dulwich stations.

I really like the feel of Toddle on Inn, http://www.toddleoninn.co.uk/ off Rye Lane, but it is fairly new and wondering if anyone already sends their kids there and what they think?

Also like Dulwich Nursery (in Sainsburys car park) & Cherry Tree Montessori Nursery, however as my daughter will only be 11 months, not sure if she will benefit from a Montessori Nursery until 2yrs old?

Be great to hear your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if you have already chosen a nursery for your daughter, but I thought I would comment any way.

My son currently goes to Bright Horizons nursery, Dog Kennel Hill near the Sainsburys in Dulwich and each week I come away with more and more questions about whether or not he should be there. If he were not leaving in 2 months, I would have taken the time to look for a different place for him to spend his time.

At present, there is a consistent problem with biting and bullying at the nursery with 90% (and no I am not exaggerating) of incidents being carried out by 1 young boy. The managers there are not pro-active in attempting to resolve this issue. It has been going on since last year and seemed to resolve itself until last month when I happened to talk to a mother of another child who got bitten the same day my son did. On investigation, there have been many more, and it appears that they have been attempting to hide the incidents.

Some of the staff are very competent, but the staffing levels are sometimes questionable - in that they appear to use the Chef to "make up the numbers" in the early mornings. A manager is on maternity leave and couple of staff members have left, but this is still unacceptable in my opinion.

There was also an incident where food was being delivered prior to the nurseries opening times and was therefore left outside - I sometimes purposefully jog past just to check that this is not the case any more - but why should I need to do this?

The long opening hours really are not worth the stress and worry for your child so I would consider very carefully before sending your child to this nursery!

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I noticed your searched for information on good nurseries in the E.D. area and thought as a good unbiased source, to check out the daysnurseries (co uk) website for reviews from parents for some decent nurseries if you are struggling to get first hand knowledge from other parents - or maybe struggling for time to book a show around.

Le Nid East Dulwich Grove has some good reviews so it may be worth checking them out and popping in for a show around to meet their team and a display of the range of facilities and teachings they offer for your child's play & development.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your search :)

• 3 months later...
Emilyshad thank you for sharing this information. That is such a horrible place to think that you have observed all of these scenes in an hour. They didnt even bother to act appropriately with you as a parent around , can you imagine what else they do when they are alone with the children. Was there no manager around? This nursery should be reported to Ofsted.

As Managing Director of Toddle on Inn I felt it my duty to respond, and address comments that have been made public through this forum.

I would have liked the opportunity to have dealt with the matters raised in a more private manner, not to protect the reputation of the nursery, but to review, and investigate accordingly.

Whilst it is individual right to have opinions, they must indeed be backed up, and factually correct, again putting my business aside, negative comments within the childcare industry can have serious implications on individual lives,reputations and career prospects, all of which could have been put on the line.

I'm sure most of us have been subject to criticism at some point,as a mother of 5 children ranging from 26yrs-15yrs and having used nurseries for my own children enabling me to work throughout my career, I would be the first to report a setting that I felt had poor standards. My reason for opening this setting was to set the standard, myself, and my husband have invested over ?200k to date refurbishing, and regenerating the nursery, the premises is privately owned by us, therefore it is a family run business, and I would like to assure those interested, that all concerned have the childrens best interest at heart.

I therefore trust you as readers would like to know that an inspection did indeed take place, the wellbeing of all children in attendance was monitored in detail, as were the team, and I'm pleased to announce Toddle on Inn passed the inspection.

As freeholders of the premises, I do feel it is important to point out some facts about the nursery, and its management.

1. I employ 10 members of highly qualified individuals, this includes, an Office Manager, a full time Chef that prepares 3 nutritional meals each day, in addition, the children are provided with 2 healthy snacks throughout the day, in-between meals.

2. Each room has a manager in its own right, all remaining staff, bar 2 are Level 3 NVQ qualified in Childcare, with vast industry experience. This is over and above the Ofsted requirement, each member of staff before being employed has to go through a vigorous interview process including, a monitored trial day, demonstrating the required skills for the position. A member of the management team is always on duty,and available to parents.

3. During a child settling, both parent, and child spend time with a key worker, for security reasons parents would not be left to their own devices, this is for the protection of the staff, and children.

4. The Discoverers, and Inventors have full access, and use of 2 easy to use water fountain, attached to the mains, and filtered, all children are aware of its position, and taught how to use it. There would not be the need to ask for a drink, this was installed so each child has access to fresh water at all times throughout the day.

5. A biometric reader was installed, which means only those registered with the nursery has access via their finger print, in addition to an intercom system. The main office is situated centrally in the nursery, and glass which means the Principal/Assistant Principal have a full view of the main rooms at all times. This is backed up by the installation of 15 x HD cameras throughout, allowing us to monitor and protect staff, and children at all times.

6. The children have access to 6x toilets that have been built to encourage use, however both staff and parents are aware that accidents/activities may result in a child needing to be changed, and are asked to supply 3 spare sets of clothes for such incidents.

7. The charge for our services are in line with the industry standard and include, all meals freshly prepared, nappies, creams, suncreams, and formulated milk, therefore is an all inclusive package.

I would welcome a visit from those interested in seeing the setting, and judging this for themselves, alternatively look on our website for our values, or Facebook page to see how the nursery is set up with children in mind, and parents in mind.

Kindest regards

Kelli Kendrick - Adv.DipFA,CeMAP,Cert.RBCB

Managing Director