thoughts on West Norwood?

hi-

I'm posting on behalf of a family who are thinking of moving to West Norwood with their 3 kids after living overseas for several years. Previously they've been north londoners. Would anyone who lives in the area share some thoughts on nice areas to live? And possibly recommend some primary schools?

thoughts on St Julian's or St Lukes primaries?

Any comments are appreciated. They are trying to sort out schools and housing from overseas.

Thank you.

West Norwood is a toilet.

I lived there for 11 years until 2013 and moving out was the best decision I ever made.

People are attracted to the Victorian houses and the lower prices but it's not worth it.

Highlights while I lived there included a disabled man beaten unconscious outside the station in broad daylight, a man dressed as Santa on his way to deliver presents to a children's home being mugged for his sack, and my house being burgled 7 times in a year.

Do them a favour and advise them to find somewhere else, the transport isn't even good. Why don't they look at Sydenham?

Wow. Strong views from the previous poster. on the other hand I've lived in West Norwood since 2008 and have never had any problems with crime or seen any violence in the area, though I know there has been some (as with east Dulwich and all surrounding areas).

We have a 3 yr old and one on the way and the area is great for families. Highlights include the new swimming pool and leisure centre on Devane Way, great collection of family friendly coffee shops and restaurants and, of course, the amazing Feast festival which is community powered, going from strength to strength and happens on the first Sunday of each month March-Dec. Can't wait for the picturehouse cinema to arrive in 2017.

We're not at school age just yet so can't comment on the schools but I know that st Julians farm is highly sought after and the buildings and grounds look great (viewed from the leisure centre ).

Frankly, I just don't recognise the other posters description of We No but I hope they have found somewhere new to live they love. More room for the rest of us here!

We've lived in West Norwood for about 5 years and echo all of SLad's points. The transport links are actually v good as there are two stations bookending the High Street, giving access to Victoria, London Bridge and the Thameslink.

On schools, I don't know about St Luke's, but Julians is very popular and well regarded - alongside the site on Wolfington Road mentioned above, it has a separate new build site on Leigham Court Road. Other schools that might be worth looking at, depending upon where your friends are looking to buy and the ages of their children, could be Hitherfield and Dunraven (Dunraven is now an all through school but the primary bit only goes up to about Year 2/3 at the moment).

I moved to West Norwood from East Dulwich 3 years ago and like it very much.

If you don't know the area it feels like there is nothing going on, but scratch the surface a little bit and there is actually a lot of interesting stuff.

The high street is not pretty - although it has the potential to be a lot more attractive than it is currently - but it is a good mix of dull but useful chain shops and more interesting independents. The Book and Record bar, the numerous independent cafes, the great value grocers, the gift shop that's just opened opposite West Norwood station, for example. The Portico Gallery has really interesting events including live music, film screenings and baby friendly standup comedy while the Railway has regular live music and a beer garden that's been called one of the best in London. West Norwood feels like the kind of place where small scale entrepreneurs with a dream to open a shop can still afford to try things out.

Next year a combined 4 screen Picture house cinema and revamped library is due to open. The South London Theatre, based in an old fire station, has received ?1.5m lottery funding for upgrades to the building.

The cemetery is fascinating to walk around and the catacombs have been called the finest in London.

There is loads of green space within walking distance - Norwood Park has a great community feel, great views, a skateboard park, kids play area, outdoor gym and tennis courts.

Then depending on whereabouts in West Norwood you live, you are likely to have an easy walk to Bel air Park, Streatham Common or Brockwell Park.

Transport links have been mentioned but bus links are also excellent - 10-20 mins to Brixton for Victoria line or different buses go all the way into town, including the x68 which is non stop from West Norwood to Waterloo during peak times.

For recommendations on schools it might be worth joining the 'SE27 parents' Facebook group.

Crime hasn't been an issue for us and have never felt unsafe.

• 1 month later...

Julian's has expanded, and other new / expanded schools round the edge of the catchment have decreased pressure. The secondary options are also good - depending on which bit of W Norwood you can be in catchment for Elmgreen and Dunraven and the Lottery chance at Kingsdale. More good choices for Catholics.

I really like the new Antic pub, Beamish and McGlue, lots of good cafes and independent shops, as well as 'local' Tesco, Sainsbury's and Co-op.

If they are looking for good but cheaper-than-ED options, Streatham Hill is good - great transport, excellent school choices, good community feel in the so-called 'ABCD' and surrounding roads. Granted, the High St is terrible (it is the A23) but it does have excellent shops, restaurants and cafes.

enjoy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had some time to spend on west norwood high

> street recently

> It is just not very pleasant. Nothing wrong or

> unsafe (during day time) just not too enjoyable.

> Depends what you're looking for.

Yes, depends on what you're looking for really. I regularly visit B&Q, the charity shops, the home ware shops, the supermarkets, the cemetery, the health and leisure centre which includes the locum service for surrounding areas i.e. herne hill GP practices send you here if you can't get an appointment at the local GP. Alright for some people that can travel but not so good if it's a bit of a trek.

Never felt unsafe in the area and the transport links are very good.