Stroppy Sixes - Argh, I can't cope!

Nevermind terrible 2s, or traumatic 3s... We now have the stroppy 6s with Little Saff.

Everything is a drama. There are screaming fit of tears at the drop of a hat.

Her teacher says she's one of the most popular children in class, but she comes home wailing that nobody plays with her?!

At home, 'Please' and 'Thank you' have apparently gone on permanent holiday, and there doesn't seem to be any indication when they'll return. Listening skills have fallen to an all time low. Do I have to wait until she's 16 to take up my statutory place in a sanitorium, or can I self-refer for early entry?

I asked Hubbie if we could take her to the recycling centre to trade her in for a different model, but he said due to cutbacks, they're no longer accepting kids.

Mothers of strong willed daughters, tell me it's going to be alright!

It's going to be alright, probably about the time she leaves home...

Miss 8 was the same at 6, we've had a few glimpses of sweetness in the subsequent 2 years, but mainly stroppy drama queen antics. Friends with older girls seem to have similar, and we have big hormone surges at 9/10 to look forward to 😳

Makes me appreciate Miss 4.5 with her innocent sweetness, but fear the fact that I have it coming all over again!

My 6 year old daughter is a bit like Jekyll and Hyde - I haven't got much wisdom to impart unfortunately, just that I really try to anticipate things that might set off a major meltdown, eg before going to the cinema stating that she is allowed X and Y but definitely not one of those rubbish ?1 toys out of the machine, etc. Of course it's impossible to anticipate every trigger and so I still end up swearing to never go shopping/to the cinema etc with her for the next decade!

My youngest is very 'strong-willed' (read: eccentric, stubborn, head in the clouds, given to sudden fury if frustrated). But funnily enough I was thinking the other day that there is far less drama in our house than there used to be these days. She is eight now. I'm not saying we never have meltdowns, but they are much fewer and far between and she is getting better at managing her emotions.

Some of it is down to me understanding her better (realising that too much noise or pressure freaks her out: if I shout at her she retreats into lockdown mode) and some of it is simply her growing up. Plus when we were going through a tricky phase I made a point of having a weekly one-to-one trip to a cafe with her where I just focused on having a nice chat with her (not nagging her or telling her off) and that made a really big difference - to both of us. And yes, thinking about it, she was six at the time!

Good luck - it will get better, I promise. Then it'll get worse again, no doubt. That's parenthood, ha ha...

With one also about to turn 7 I can promise you it does get better. My little girl is headstrong, stubborn and likes things her own way but in the last 6 months there has been a huge transformation, she has really matured has learnt to manage her emotions better and is so helpful at home now.

Homework is no longer a battle she now sits down beautifully and just gets on with it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• you know when you take your pro-cash stance too far? yeah....
    • Easter Bunny Bonus Week 29 fixtures...   Saturday 30th March Newcastle United v West Ham United AFC Bournemouth v Everton Chelsea v Burnley Nottingham Forest v Crystal Palace Sheffield United v Fulham Tottenham Hotspur v Luton Town Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Brentford v Manchester United   Sunday 31st March Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion Manchester City v Arsenal   Tuesday 2nd April Newcastle United v Everton Nottingham Forest v Fulham AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace Burnley v Wolverhampton Wanderers West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur   Wednesday 3rd April Arsenal v Luton Town Brentford v Brighton & Hove Albion Manchester City v Aston Villa   Thursday 4th April Liverpool v Sheffield United Chelsea v Manchester United
    • A repetitive tried and tested cycle that seems to be slowing down in London thankfully. Brixton was the start. Councils consciously and purposely let an area decline until that area is next on the list for social and ethnic cleansing and ultimately gentrification. In come the first wave of arty/ creatives to squat and house share. A few coffee shops and cool but inexpensive cafe/ bars and art spaces open up. The crackheads, dealers and other assorted criminals who were once left to operate openly and brazenly to sell, shop lift, mug, beg, purchase,  publicly consume on decent folks doorsteps, stairwells,in bin sheds and without fear of the law begin to be targeted, rounded up and moved on. A few more jaunty and sustainable coffee shops/ bars appear . The Guardian and other facilitators in the media jump on the bandwagon, first claims of vibrancy are rolled out. Next step a few cool retro clothing shops pop up selling ' reclaimed Levi's for more than they originally cost and ten times the price of what the recently departed charity shop charged. Foxtons open a branch and the arty types and first wavers/ drivers have there first moan about there initially paltry rents going up. The guardian do a generic lets move to Brixton, Dalston, Hackney, Deptford, Walthamstow type double pager. Interview a graphic designer or two who have just bought a former crack den on the manor for next to peanuts. They will later bemoan the next wave who have more money than them. Cool, edgy and vibrant are now the buzzword bingo must use lingo. Few more coffee shops ( how original ) Pop up everything,. Organic and sour dough move in. The night time economy starts to thrive, more cool bars and eateries open. More squats and the last crack house that was once one of many are cleared out. Second wave is around the corner.   All of a sudden there's a visible police presence again and the streets are safe for fun seekers with plenty of disposable cash to chuck about on a dose of vibrancy with added coolness. By this stage even the locally brewed beer is organic. There's queues outside the newly arrived organic, sourdough, artisan and sustainable bakers. Instagram has Brixton trending. The greasy spoon of thirty year has gone cause the lease is up and the landlord has hiked the rents up by 60/70%. Followed by small family run independents that served the community  for decades and more.  The local characters, activists, eccentrics are getting less and less. There's a new show in town for a week or two and until the next brand arrives. Brewdog move in. Former job centres are converted into bars but peak edginess means it's still called the job centre. Followed by a couple more chain eateries. The resident DJ'S and music venues are replaced by another generic brand boasting guest chefs. The Guardian lifestyle section is now on it's fifth or sixth orgasm. Turn a few pages and hypocrisy is rampant with articles on the evils of gentrification, foxtons, capitalism, social cleansing and unaffordable housing. The middle classes continue to arrive in there droves to buy into the vibrancy and multiculturalism supposedly on offer. There isn't much multiculturalism going on at the packed latest place to eat, drink and fart. The multiculturalism on show comes in the form of bar staff, doorman and cheap as chips uber drivers and delivery workers. Rice and peas, jerk everything, red stripe at six quid a can from some hipster haunt that is currently flavour of the month and the place to be seen. The first wavers are now blaming the latest hedge funded brand that's pulled into town for driving gentrification and there soon to be hastened departure to be first wavers again somewhere else. Less cool but up and coming here we come. Covid has certainly helped/ been a factor in slowing down the process of gentrification. I also think it may be the driver for almost putting a stop to it. Remote working, less need to move to London to be near an office, less disposable cash, sky high rents, worthless degrees that relied on that disposable cash , different priorities, knife and gang crime and a large dose of much needed realism has put a huge spanner in the works for the shitty process and cycle that is/ was the gentrification and social cleansing of working class London. Manchester and Liverpool is next on the list for the planners. Thankfully.
    • Can you just queue up to withdraw cash or are other transactions like stamp purchasing required?  Do M&S do cash back?
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In