Scooters

Hi,

My daughter who is nearly 6 years old has been asking for a scooter. I have no idea which brands are good ones to look at. Popped into John Lewis to have a look and they are ?100+ which is a lot more than I was expecting or maybe that is how much they cost.

Grateful if you could share any positive/negative reviews on scooters your child/children have used.

Thanks!

The mini micro for really small kids is unbeatable, but there are other options for 6+. Just don't buy a cartoon character themed one from Toys R Us or somewhere like that - they're pretty terrible.

JD Bug scooters are decent quality - probably not quite as good as Micro but they are solid and have proper wheel bearings etc. Decathlon are also good.

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/scooters/complete_scooters/+jd_bug?gclid=CNLJkc3pmM0CFfgW0wodQ1YGaw

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-313385-scooters/N-192972-scooters-type~kids-scooters

Agree that micro scooters are very good. My older children both got a Maxi Micro for Christmas when they were 5, and they still use them now. My son is 9.5 and atill rides on his one happily, so they are worth the money.

I hate scooters for young children! Was nearly knocked down by child and scooter this morning with Mum no-where to be seen and this was on a zebra crossing. Car driver very irate and having a go at me when Mum was miles away!

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like micro scooters are the ones to go with for quality and durability.

Sorry Minder to hear you had an unpleasant experience. Kids do love them so it is tricky not to say yes.

also if you have a reluctant walker they are a lifesaver, so parents love them too (i do anyway).

we are very careful about safety, stopping for roads and driveways and people etc. but then i am constantly talking to him reminding him of the rules so then become guilty of 'loud parenting' so you can't win really!

I've been rammed in the ankle by a scooter (one of mine), hurt so much we had to go home. wear trainers all the time now.

I couldnt live without ours. My son still has little concept of danger so I end up holding on to it most of the time when we are near traffic (almost always) but it works well for us. We spent an entire day in Brighton yday and the scooter was a godsend for tired little legs.

Have to say I do think micro scooters are actually worth the money, though I too did gasp when I first saw how much they were. But we've bought a cheap one in the past and it was heavy and swung round on its axis so was forever hitting me (actually cutting me) in the shins. Then it proceeded to fall apart when my daughter was riding it one time. The micro ones, on the other hand, are sturdy, easy to master and last forever - even with my kids attempting stunts on them.

The only problem is that they're so good they're very attractive to thieves - we lost an almost brand-new one that was a pressie from grandparents. So if you do buy one, write your child's name on it very clearly in marker pen!