5 year old Birthday Party - what to do

Hi,

I need to organise my daughter's 6th birthday party (she previously just had family-only parties) so really looking for ideas as to what kids like/expect/want to have for their parties. What games did they enjoy? I was thinking pass-the-parcel and musical chairs or are they outdated?

Thinking of hiring an Entertainer so grateful for any recommendations.

Many thanks!

Hello

We have always had parties at home with simple, traditional party games adapted to whatever theme we wanted, and the kids enjoy it so much. I have to admit, I always avoid having noticeable winners and losers as that can be stressful and cause tears in younger children. I don't like doing pass the parcel for that reason (unless you hide a little present in each layer, which goes down well but is quite a lot of work!). Musical statues (you get a mini prize or a sweet if you have to go out and the last one in gets a prize that's a tiny bit bigger), treasure hunt in the garden or house to begin with (lets off a bit of excited energy by running around) but brief them to find one thing and bring it back so you don't have anyone missing out, pin-the-tail-on-the-whatever (or badge on the paw patrol puppy, or tiara on the princess, etc), dancing game where they all dance and you hold up pictures of animals they have to dance like, then you reward the best ones with a sweet each time (but obviously make sure you keep track and award everyone a sweet for being the best at different times!), keepy-uppy with balloons, and so on. Two hours is a good length. Fewer than ten children is good. Party tea in the last hour, cake at the end! Kids tend to have party bags to go home with nowadays - a balloon, a few sweets and stickers or something small. Add cake into that or eat it at the party as you choose.

Have fun!

you could hire out the adventure playground at Dog Kennel Hill - has a hall for tea and games and room to roar round...we've done a kind of treasure hunt there too...

Home parties are lovely, if you have room, and the trad party games very popular as well as games that just involve being a bit silly - "dance in the manner of ... a chicken/ a dinosaur / your mum etc etc". DIY face paints a good one - honestly very easy just to put flowers / moustaches / stripes etc on faces and much cheaper than a professional...

treasure hunts - clue based or ones with games or tasks are pretty easy to set up and are fun too

keeping balloons in the air ...

my absolute top recommended game is messy but fun - kids in teams of 4 or 5, each child with a loo roll. The object is to wrap up like a mummy one of their team mates - they can be congratualted on best wrapped, first finished etc. Then the "mummies" have to burst out of the loo roll and then there is a mad loo roll fight. It's ridiculous, wasteful and very messy but always a success...

• 2 weeks later...