Nanny hire

Hello everyone,

We just moved into East Dulwich with the arrival of baby number two.

We are thinking of hiring a nanny for when my partner goes back to work, but not sure where to start: shared nanny vs live-in nanny or even where to advertise. Also where does Mother's help fit into the picture?

Thanks v much for the help.

If you have already thought well and decided what exactly are your needs that has to be met - it is then easier to decide if you are better in having a live in or live out nanny. In my experience, it is better to find help with friends'referral or hire from an agency as they can provide a more reliable choice of people. I can help you find someone if you like. I know a lot of people who does nannying. Let me know and send me a pm and we can chat.

Live in nannies are more affordable as you are providing their housing which compensates for reduced wages. It also typically includes longer hours (as there is no travel time) and 2 nights babysitting.

A mother's help is basically a more experienced aupair. They shouldn't have sole charge of children under 2 (so no newborns) but are expected to much in a bit more than a typical au pair regarding household chores. If you and your partner both work full time, this probably isn't the right option for you.

A nanny-share (where you share with another family) is cheaper than having your own live-out nanny though the exact costs will depend on the nature of the share (how many kids each family has etc)

Nannying wages depends on what the employers can pay. It can range from ?350- ?1100 /week There is no fix amount although sometimes some people base it by area or by the hours. I have a friend who is a nanny and has a single sole charge of a 9 month old baby and is getting ?1100/week net excluding extras that her boss is happy to pay.She works 5 days a week and starts from 9am to 6:30pm.She only cares for the baby and his food and clothes They have a cleaner too. She even has a ?1000 bonus everytime they fly out on holiday. What I mean mentioning this is that don't compare with what others do - just know what you can offer and work around it to have an agreed arrangement and have both parties happy with your set salary.

My other friend works in this area of Dulwich - she has a 4yr old and a 2.5 yr old. One goes to nursery -the other one at home.She gets ?450/wk her boss pays her tax.She does tidying up and cooking for the children. She cares for the young one and drops and picks the 4yr old. She lives out.

Another one lives in - also here in underhill road. She has 2 children one is 5 goes to school and a nearly 3 yr old who stays home. She gets ?350 *5days/wk*boss pays tax* paid holidays *once a yr ticket paid to go back home.

Extremely helpful reply Mrs Nice. You've helped clarify our thinking. I think what we need now is a Mother's help - thanks for the pointer LondonMix, and then we'll look to get a nanny when mother is going back to work.

Will post a separate message for a Mother's help. Any recommendations would be extremely welcome.

Thanks again, for the help.