4+ assessments

Elca20

Hi

I was hoping for advice about what independent primary schools look for in a 4+ assessment.

We've been looking at JAPPS, Alleyns, St Dunstans among others.

I know some schools are harder to get into than others, but have no idea what the criteria are.

I'd really appreciate any advice or experiences.

We did the St Dunstans assessment last year, the children were taken into a room and observed playing, listening to a story/answering questions and drawing a picture from what I can remember. It was all very friendly and in no way a "test". They said they were looking for children who engaged and were curious, not necessarily the cleverest!

No need to prepare, in my opinion! They are only four! They are looking for engaged, curious kids. It helps if they are used to being with other adults and don't get too upset when they join the other kids. But my advice would be to not stress, the teachers are great and friendly and it's just a fun day for the kids. They are mainly looking for whether the kids would fit into to school, whether the focus is sports, arts, etc. It's also a chance for you to check out the school- works both ways!

Justasking Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No need to prepare, in my opinion! They are only

> four! They are looking for engaged, curious kids.

> It helps if they are used to being with other

> adults and don't get too upset when they join the

> other kids. But my advice would be to not stress,

> the teachers are great and friendly and it's just

> a fun day for the kids. They are mainly looking

> for whether the kids would fit into to school,

> whether the focus is sports, arts, etc. It's also

> a chance for you to check out the school- works

> both ways!

I agree with this - we have 2 kids (girl and boy) so have been through assessments for Herne Hill, DPL, JAPS, Alleyn's and Sydenham at either 3+ or 4+.

We didn't do any prep other than take them to the open days, explain that they will be going there to play with the teachers and toys (and adults aren't allowed to play with the children's toys but we will be in another room drinking coffee). We were offered places at all but one.

Good luck!