Sorry to mention Christmas but...any mums have good prep tips?

Sally81

Hi all,

Really hoping a couple of you fab ED mums can come to my rescue!

I'm writing a really lovely feature for a parenting mag all about the positive effects of Christmas traditions - how they can help bonding/create lovely memories/give sense of belonging etc...

As an aside I need a few mums to feature and tell me about their top pre Christmas prep tips - so maybe you try to wrap 5 presents a night in the run up/you make food and freeze it for the big day/ you make decorations on rainy days in autumn with the kids ready for xmas/ ANYTHING really along those lines.

I need the help of mums who have a child 3 or under and you would feature with a little smiley head shot in the December issue. Would be lovely if anyone can help??

Thanks

xx

We make a massive deal out of Christmas in our house (3 trees is given).

One new "tradition" we started last year is picking out toys that the kids have grown out of, or never opened duplicate ones, wrapping them up in gift wrapping with a tag for boy/girl and suitable age. We had a fun filled but meaningful day doing this together and then taking them to Barry House in the run up to Christmas. Our two boys have already started picking things out they would like to donate.

• 3 weeks later...

Know when the Waitrose/ Sainsbury/ Tesco Xmas delivery slots are available and get it booked as soon as they are relased. Get everything delivered except your turkey/ meet and bread. Which you can pick up separately. You can start stocking up on Xmas pudding and sweets and nibbles in early November and often they have some excellent deals. Don't be afraid to get stuff early and store. Well by dates will be fine (but check)

Try and get your Xmas shopping started in August(!) and finished in Early November. Don't leave the wrapping until the last minute.. It takes ages! Start wrapping in early Dec.

We always enjoy making mince pies on Xmas eve and prep all our veg whilst sitting watching a film with some mulled wine. I like giving my son some new PJs on Xmas eve, as a lot of Xmas pics are in his PJs opening presents!

D

My top pre Christmas prep tips are simply:

1. keep Christmas in perspective

2. don't let it start taking over your life in September

3. don't buy lots of consumables (including drink) in advance - you will simply consume them all and have to re-buy (which is of course what the manufacturers want you to do hence all the special offers months in advance)

• 1 month later...

Use as much stuff from last year as possible.

Limit expensive/large gifts and buy lots of small stuff which young kids love.

Wait for discounts to be e-mailed or advertised before Christmas shopping.

Use a cashback website to get money back on any online purchases - e.g. Kidstart

Buy gift vouchers from work and try and forget they are there / don't use until you need to buy Christmas presents.

Buy stuff throughout the year for other people, this means less stress in December.