meningitis b vaccine

Ris2011

My son aged 6 and daughter (4) had the first jab a few months ago. My daughter was fine, no side effects. My son had a fever for the first 12 hours and a sore arm. Nothing worse than that though.

You can get it done at Boots, if you are looking to find somewhere. I think its about ?180 per child.

Firstly I'd like to say sorry for posting my question on this thread but as its about meningitis b, I thought it be ok.

My daughter is 2yrs and 4months and I'm not sure if I should get her to have the meningitis b vaccination, I was just wondering what are the pro's and con's to having it done and what are other parents view's on this vaccination?

Should we do it or not?

Thank you

Although meningitis is not common, it is a devastating illness with a high risk for complications including death.

The vaccine has high intrinsic efficacy with a low occurrence of side effects. The more people who are vaccinated, the more of a herd effect on immunity will contribute to protecting others, including those too young to be vaccinated or those with immune complications.

The vaccine is unfortunately rather expensive, and it's likely to require a booster at some point, possibly in 15-20 years. As with any drug treatment, there remains the possibility of side effects. Common side effects are relatively mild, and serious side effects are rare

If your child has the vaccine, she's very likely to experience some mild side effects which will last a brief time, and the vaccine doesn't cover all types of meningitis. But if she has the vaccine, her immunity to this specific type of meningitis will be good, i.e. she will be unlikely to develop this specific infection upon exposure to the pathogen/infected person.

If she doesn't have the vaccine, her risk of catching meningitis will still be low, because meningitis is not common. However if she's exposed to meningitis, she's likely to develop a life changing or even life threatening infection.

I'm over simplifying, but I hope the explanation is clear. The Boots link I posted above has more information about meningitis in general. xx