Calling advice from all mums:What name do you give to a little girl's private part?

Hi all,

Really odd question I know, but I am in need of advice. My daughter is 3years old and she calls her female genital area her 'bottom'. I haven't yet corrected her as I feel that I need to have a suitable/child friendly name for it. As a little girl I called it my 'mini-moo'. Looks hilarious now that I have seen it in written form!

Just thought I'd put it out there and find out how other mums have termed it for their daughter.

Thanks in advance

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seems like you can make up any name you like....

> In our house, it's an Eeny.

>

> No idea where that came from. Probably easy to say

> and a made up word that wouldn't get muddled up

> with anything else.

Yes I agree with having a made up word that wouldn't be muddled up with anything else. Thought about 'Minnie' and then realised that it could get muddled up with Minnie mouse!

"abdominal pain" (?!)

I do agree that it is best to use correct anatomical language but "vulva" on its own isn't always accurate (though it's good enough usually). Vagina only deals with part of the situation too. It's handy to have a catch all general area reference, I think, (like "tummy" and, I suppose "bum" rather than "anus" or "buttocks") and also to talk through and name the parts pretty matter of factly as well. Especially important for girls I think as there's less on the outside than for boys.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> devsdev, there's nothing wrong with that.... but

> what would you have a child call a tummy ache?

>

> Maybe you would enjoy The Vagina Monologues?

> They're really funny.

>

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244283/

Front bottom or wee bottom - as if she ever hurt herself or was in discomfort then she could use that phrase and the general meaning would be understood (e.g by nursery staff/teacher, school nurse)

We avoided vulva, as it doesn't apply to vagina, urethra etc and didn't want to confuse that issue.

Now that she is 5.5y I have started taking the opportunity to talk about periods (e.g when she sees my sanitary products and asks about them) and explaining about he vagina etc. I include my 3.5y old boy in these v.informal chats, too not that he listens!

oh for goodness sake.....

It's generally known that men have their own affectionate names - which are universally recognized.

Childern have baby names for LOTS of things - I wouldn't necessarily worry them with your adult issues with it.

Having baby names is not the same as saying 'as your mum I'm too embarrassed to explain your genitalia to you'

Devsdev-- sorry to see you removed your posts. I thought the first one was very informative. I imagine there are a lot of adult women who still don't know exactly what a vulva is! Personally, I think nicknames for private parts is a bit silly though that's probably because I didn't grow up using any. Genitals / vagina is fine for kids to say.

Vagina and Penis in this house. Personally I don't really like using euphemisms and I think kids see a difference between using a proper word or a 'baby name' if it's introduced early enough. Caitlin Moran's book How To Be A Woman has a hilarious, if rude, chapter on this by the way!

LondonMix - thank you, I appreciate that. I realised it was a bit rash to delete the posts, but I wasn't intending to cause offence and found the responses quite offensive in turn so wanted out of the conversation. I'll just re-include this link for anyone who's interested in some aides to discussing body/sex with kids as it seems relevant: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1406306061/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And back off for a good weekend now. Hope you all enjoy the sunny Saturday.

Why are you asking complete strangers for names for a 3 year Olds private parts in your eyes you think it's all harmless ask friends or family yes I get that .but you would not go up to a stranger in the street and ask them unless your stupid. Look you don't know who you talk to on these forums , we don't know if your a man or women if anyone don't agree tough

Tbh it's not an unusual topic of conversation in parenting groups. A short search online and through the published parenting lit will readily show that all 'body parts' conversations are common and invariably complex.

There is nothing inherently shameful or weird about openly discussing the topic. In fact, keeping this topic in the dark does more harm than good IMO.

For the record, my daughter is 6 yrs, and she knows the difference between her vulva and vagina. She also know it's sometime called other things. Lots of body parts have more than one name*, but I don't personally think there's any reason not to teach the proper names (and there ARE many good reasons to teach them correct anatomical names). Kids are pretty clever!

*For example, my husband regularly refers to his nose as a 'beak', and when breastfeeding my daughter decided to name my breasts 'beeboos'. My dad calls his feet 'dogs'.