The Elmgreen School

zanna

Hello

Does anyone have children attending Elmgreen secondary school?? I am currently looking for Yr 7 place for my daughter. Been to the school 3 times and loved it each time. Seems too good to be true so I really need a second opinion. Anyone please... even of you only live or work near the school and don't send your children there.

Many thanks! ;-)

Hi there, my child has just started Year 7, and so far so good.

Like you, we visited a few times and just really loved it.

It has a real community feel, the transition preparation was excellent, and the staff have been great.

Plus the shiny new building helps too.

I think perhaps we don't hear so much about it, because it is in Lambeth, and parents tend to look at Southwark and Lewisham schools first.

One of my friends?s daughters goes to Elmgreen and both daughter and mother are very happy with it.

This shows how important it is to visit the schools and go to the open days to get a feel for it, perhaps more than one visit. I have visited schools that I never considered and have been pleasantly surprised; I have also visited secondary schools which have a very good reputation and I always thought we were going to apply for and have been extremely disappointed.

I have noted schools that are not that well known are working harder and doing great things to build up a good reputation; on the other hand schools which already have that reputation and benefit from a good intake of bright kids are resting on their laurels.

Hi everyone! Thank you for posting. Your comments are very helpful. I hope I will make my mind up by the end of this month. The other school I was thinking of is the old Charter, Red Post Hill. Missed the open days so I have never been inside to get a feel :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Zanna

I agree with the other positive replies. My son is in year 8. We are so happy that we chose this school. Teaching seems very good and he has made excellent progress. Senior leadership/staff are all extremely helpful. The school is very organised and calm, and things like parents evening/reports to parents etc. all run very well. Lots of events and parents are made to feel very welcome always. Schooling is a very personal choice and I wish you good luck with whatever you decide.