Sydenham School (the state girls school) feedback

Sol

Hi

I went to visit Sydenham School and was very impressed; I think there is good discipline, the girls wear their uniform very well and were articulate (at least the ones that showed us around); also the girls that gave the speech were very good. Facilities are excellent as they just spent 25 millions and everything is nice and new.

I would like to hear opinions from parents with girls attending this school: what's the sport and art at the school?; my daughter is both sporty and creative. She likes science and maths too which I understand is the strenght of the school.

I heard teaching is good too but can't tell from an open day. I would appreciate opinions from people who know the school. Apparently they only do settings for maths from year 7 and english from year 8; just wondering if they also do settings for Science.

Thank you

our daughter started there this September and I am very impressed. She's settled really well, has made new friends, is enjoying new subjects and increased independence, and has already had lots of interesting opportunities. Let me know if any specific questions.

• 3 weeks later...
I was about to tell you that I went to Sydenham School but then realised that that was 12 years ago! Anyway, just in case it helps, it was a good school, usual mix of kids that are interested in learning and also not interested. The teachers were quick to spot the difference and the academic students were pushed very hard and to aim for Oxbridge. I went on to do very well and would send my own children there. It also looks like they have had their best ever year for GCSE results.

I have three friends with 4 daughters between them at the school and they are all extremely pleased with it. As it happens two of those (these friends don't know each other) took their daughters out of a nearby private school due to bullying and lack of understanding of diversity, and all are well settled at Sydenham.

They comment on the ethos, the opportunities and the academic standards.

• 3 months later...