Halloween trick or treating for kids 2016?

Hello new neighbors!

My partner and I are moving to SE22 and I wanted to find out if kids in the community partake in trick or treating door to door? Our friends have a 2 year old who we wanted to invite over to our new place, but would be sad if every home she went to did not open their door and give a piece of candy. Also, lit jack o lanterns on the front porch?

Please let me know!

Happy Halloween all.

-Lauren C

Welcome to SE22!

My kids are only 2 and 3 so I've not taken them out trick or treating yet but we have had many trick or treaters come to our door on the years we've been here. We mainly get groups of young school children coming early evening with their parents then the odd older child/teenager later in the eve. We usually put lit Jack o lanterns out the front of the house but forgot one year and it was the only year that we've had no trick or treaters. So I'm guessing that the trick or treaters only go to those houses with decorations and lanterns. Hope that helps!

Welcome to the area - some roads are more trick or treaty than others but yes - lots of people play! And I second the advice about the decorations - the unwritten rule is that you tell your children to only knock at doors where there are decorations up - pumpkins and so on, as those people are playing. Have fun! There are lots of little kids going around - and it's fun to see what decorations different houses have up too.

This is such good news, we have just moved back to the UK and we were hoping that ED would do trick or treating! My children are very very excited. What time do you think we should take our children out this year? What is the normal time for a pre-schooler and year 1? We would normally go out around 5.30ish back home.

Ris2011 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is such good news, we have just moved back to

> the UK and we were hoping that ED would do trick

> or treating! My children are very very excited.

> What time do you think we should take our children

> out this year? What is the normal time for a

> pre-schooler and year 1? We would normally go out

> around 5.30ish back home.

I think if your kids are really little then once it's dark but since it's a Monday this year not everyone will be back home by 5.30. So if they are a bit older you might want to go out slightly later.

There are a few streets in the triangle-ish bounded by LL, Dulwich Park and Calton/Townley where it seems a large proportion of the residents go the whole hog i.e. decorations outside, adults dressed up inside and particularly good 'treats'. You can go out pretty much as soon as it gets dark so 5.30 should be fine.

We had a great time last year with my 3 year old - wandered from the village back to ED around 5pm and knocked on doors that were dressed up - it was really sociable and everyone was very friendly, there was a lovely community feel to it. When we got home we put out our own pumpkins and probably had about 30 people knocking on the door until we ran out of sweets around 8pm!