Were you in the first "Old Charter" cohort in 2000?

Were you - or was somebody you know - in the first cohort that went to the Charter School back in September 2000? I'd love to hear what it was like being the pioneering group at the school: was it an adventure, or did you feel like a guinea pig? Was there a clear vision, or did you feel you were making things up as you went along? Do you think it was a benefit or a drawback not having older year groups through your secondary years (compared with your peers in other schools)?

I don't know, that's why I want to hear from somebody who actually lived through it. Do the class of 2000 look back and think 'that was great'?

Passiflora Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would have thought that as an 11/12 year old

> they didn't see it that way i.e. a pioneering

> group.

>

> It's bad enough starting secondary school let

> alone thinking about what goes on in the years

> above!

I'm guessing at 25/26 there might not be many of the first cohort checking the family discussion threads on the East Dulwich forum?

However last year, when applying to schools, we met someone, by chance, who was part of The Charter School founding cohort, and it was very reassuring to speak to her about her experience. In summary, she was utterly positive about her initial school year and subsequent progress through the growing school.

I wonder if you might have more luck putting the question on the general discussion board, as perhaps parents of that cohort are no longer checking the 'family discussion' pages but are still using the forum elsewhere?

I was thinking the same thing. 20 somethings who grew up here are unlikely to be on the family room forum. They probably don't even live around here anymore. Given their parents don't have young children either, the main section or lounge might be a better bet to find someone with direct experience.

eleni70 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm guessing at 25/26 there might not be many of

> the first cohort checking the family discussion

> threads on the East Dulwich forum?

>

I don't know anyone who was part of the Old Charter Cohort - but I was recently talking to someone at a charity I'm doing some work for and explaining about my son's school (Charter ED) and him being in the founding cohort. And she got very excited and said she had been in the founding cohort of her secondary school - somewhere outside London. She said it was great, they loved it - they had a real sense of ownership and belonging and they loved being the oldest children as the school grew and she felt it gave her a sense of confidence.

I wonder if perhaps the kids won't be aware necessarily of the negatives of the situation. For example, not having older kids around doing work beyond your level that you can aspire to. And teachers having 3 years of non-exam syllabus teaching and the effects that may have. I don't know how strong those aspects (and others like them) may be and whether they're offset by others. But I'm not sure that as a pupil you can really assess them if you know nothing different (and if the school constantly pushes the message on the positives!).

I think all the schools will have pros and cons and they may even differ for different types of kids. It's so hard to truly work out which will be the 'best' option.