Lambeth - nanny parking

LSB

Hi - I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue and could advise? Basically, we live in Lambeth (Herne Hill) in a controlled parking zone where you need a permit or to pay from 12-2 every day. Our nanny drives in and I'm not sure what to do re her parking. We don't get enough parking permits per year to cover all her days (and it would be expensive), the pay per day option is a bit awkward (means she needs to get to the machines by 12) and is also expensive. Both options will end up adding about ?1k pa to an already expensive arrangement. Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did they do? Does anyone have a drive in Herne Hill that they would like to rent out four days a week? Thanks in advance! L

Hi LSB - we have exactly the same issue as you. Lambeth have conceded to us, after lengthy conversations that we would be entitled to apply for a business permit for the nanny's car (costing c?600/year - not much difference to a pay/day basis) subject to us producing evidence of her employment with us. In the end we decided it works better for us to purchase a small car for our nanny to drive to and from work, as she regularly uses a car for kids trips, play dates etc and will in due course need it for the school run. It's a real pain I agree, and Lambeth in their usual manner have not offered a particularly effective solution albeit it is one that gives them more money!

Thanks HerneHillmum - so do you have to get a residents' permit for the car that your nanny uses? All these options seem so expensive! I'm thinking that we might letter drop our neighbours and see if anyone wants to rent out their drive. They seem to go for about ?70h a month for a 5 day week (so maybe a bit less for 4 days and paying in advance), which seems the cheapest option I've identified. Our nanny says that Southwark do a childcare parking permit for just under ?200 a year, which seems like a much better option!

Hi yes we do have a permit for her car, as its registered to our address. It's an expensive option I agree. Our nanny does pay for all the petrol however, which I think is a reasonable compromise...

Lambeth told me they had completed a review of childcare permits in other boroughs last summer, and having reviewed other boroughs, decided a childcare permit wasn't an option for them. They didn't give any reasons for this, just saying it wasn't a viable option for them at this time. All very frustrating but nothing worse than what I have come to expect of Lambeth I am afraid. if you could find a spare drive that would be an excellent alternative.

It would be interesting to know if there are a number of us in this same position (worth posting on the Herne Hill Forum also?) and if there is, it may be worth lobbying our local councillor (can't recall who this is off the top of my head) to intervene. My point all along is its pretty discriminatory to not have any kind of childcare/carer permit particularly when other boroughs offer this as the norm.