Winter Ice Rinks

nunheadmum

There is a covered rink in Streatham I think. We went skating at the open air rink in Greenwich/Canary Wharf last year, and it was lovely. There are lots of child-friendly choices to eat nearby afterwards.

Not sure about rain. Best to check what the policy is in advance. We watched the weather forecast and booked for the best window we could find.

If you are thinking Christmas ice skating, we have gone twice to the one outside the Natural History Museum .... although it gets quite hectic out there as the skating rink is quite small and there are a lot of people who flail around the rink. But it feels Christmassy and there is hot chocolate afterwards!

I have always wanted to do the Somerset house one but it sells out quite quickly. Time out do a review of ice rinks

http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/ice-skating-in-london and I am sure there is one around the Southbank as well.

For fun on an ice rink, the Streathman one is lovely. (very easy to reach via train). It is really big and never seems to be that over crowded. Went on an inset day earlier this year and practically had the ice rink to ourselves.

I took my 9 year old to Streatham Ice rink on Saturday - it was fine, but quite busy - mostly families and young kids, but a few teenagers whizzing about and showing off - just how I remember it from my childhood! A couple of years ago we went to an outdoor rink by the Tower of London - it was raining on the day but we had prebooked so just wore waterproofs and it was fine. It was smaller and quieter than Streatham - I suspect you wouldn't get so many intimidating show offs at the outdoor rinks. Not sure if there is a rink there this year but worth checking.