My son's doctor has made me so cross.

My son had a bad cough, runny nose, lethargy, sore ears etc a few weeks ago. Just as he recovered I got it, and it was truly horrible, conjunctivitis, the lot. So I know how he feels. Then he got better and so did I.

Now last week he became sick again, same symptoms. Yesterday me too. My son has also now gotten a full body rash (did the glass test, it's fine).

So this is clearly a recurring thing. So I went to the Drs for my son, thinking this might not go away on its own.

The doctor checked his temp (did that already at home, it's fine). Listened with his stethoscope and poked his belly.

He then said he thought my son probably just had a virus and prescribed him antibiotics in the form of penicillin.

I've just looked up penicillin and it says "Penicillin V potassium is an antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia, scarlet fever, and ear, skin, and throat infections. It also is used to prevent recurrent rheumatic fever and chorea. Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections."

So how can the dr say it's an virus and prescribe something that doesn't help a virus?

He also said take the meds for 2 wks and come back if no better. But prescribed just 5 days of meds.

I am so cross. I have a huge distrust in the knowledge of GPs. Didn't help he was an hour late.

Now I'm making my poor sick kid choke down some nasty meds that probably won't help him and might make antibiotics less useful to him when he really needs them.

Sorry, just needed a rant. Gaaaaahhhh!

There's a lot of similar illnesses making the rounds with kids and adults so sorry to hear you're suffering again. Maybe your GP has prescribed the antibiotic to treat an ear, nose or throat infection. As you say antibiotics don't help viruses but maybe your GP thought there was something going on that needed Penicillin.

Looking up illnesses and medications on the internet brings up all kinds of information which can sometimes be worrying. Believe me I'm going through it now and it can make you more anxious!

Rheumatic fever and I think cholera is thankfully treatable now.

It's difficult to know the details from your post, but it seems like the initial infection may have been viral. Now your LO has a secondary bacterial infection? The symptoms you describe could fit scarlet fever, which often occurs after another infection. If that is the case, your LO should show definite signs of improving with the antibiotic.

Five days seems like a short course of antibiotics. I'm thinking it's usually a longer course for scarlet fever, but this could be down to formulation. You could query this with the on-duty Pharmacist at your local pharmacy. You could also leave a message with your GP's receptionist for a doctor to phone you back (maybe a different doctor!). It seems like there may have been a miscommunication, and you need to clarify this to make sure your LO is getting the right course of treatment.

Some GPs are awful, and some are fabulous. Some of it is down to personality, but the rest seems to be down to poor management, which is highly irritating.

I would carry on with the antibiotics because that is what you've been prescibed, unless of course your LO has a reaction to them. But also, you definitely need to seek a second opinion tomorrow for clarification. xx

I have full sympathy for you and your family.

I think it is hard, coming from aboard I had a great relationship with my GP- i saw the same one everytime and had great continuation of care- it is essential that you see the same GP especially for people suffering from ongoing illness or depression (also for children who can go down hill very fast). I have yet to find a doctors in this area that you would see regularly (with out booking 4 weeks in advanced) Please let me know if I am wrong but this sort of care is failing our community. I have full respect for the NHS but attending my local doctors was shocking. Having lived in many different countries this service is by far the worst.

My son has just had treatment for Scarlet fever, there is alot of cases going around. The GP said it is hard to know sometimes but with mini ivy he was pretty confident that it was scarlet fever. IF it is, then it is so infectious and your little one will feel so much better after having taken the penicilin. Scarlet fever is not nice at all. We have just finished a 10 day course of penicillin.

Huge sympathies, it's very frustrating and sounds like you need more information (as Saffron said above).

Also, if it IS scarlet fever, please query the length/strength of the course of penicillin you were given, the NHS website states the course should be 10 days for scarlet fever (we had a case of child scarlet fever and were given a 5 day course which even the pharmacist queried the length of. After a call to the GPs a longer course of penicillin was issued).

Hope your son feels much better soon.

Don't feel bad to ask a second opinion from another doctor. They might have degrees but surprisingly a lot of them have little knowledge when it comes to common sense. Trust your instinct. Get a second opinion. Good luck. Hope your son feels better soon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I hope he's better now.

I've asked my GP this question about antibiotics in the past and the reason that they are prescribed even when it's a virus is because viruses cause secondary bacterial infections (so when you have a virus your body is prone to or vulnerable to bacterial infections, I think conjunctivitis is bacterial for example).

Viruses are difficult to treat and take a lot of testing to pinpoint. When my daughter was unwell she had to be treated with broad spectrum anti-virals via a drip and they still didn't really know what they were treating they just threw everything at it. In the end I think her body fought it off.

Thank you for your feedback. The antibiotics did help both him and me. Unfortunately he is sick with a tummy bug now. Never ending! I think the problem with all doctors I have seen recently is they don't give you the time to explain anything like the poster above. A small bit of sympathy and courtousey would go a long way to building confidence. Bedside manner is definitely lacking.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you for your feedback. The antibiotics did

> help both him and me. Unfortunately he is sick

> with a tummy bug now. Never ending! I think the

> problem with all doctors I have seen recently is

> they don't give you the time to explain anything

> like the poster above. A small bit of sympathy

> and courtousey would go a long way to building

> confidence. Bedside manner is definitely lacking.

In defence of GP's in general - obviously onluly you know how the one you saw was- they get a very short appointment time per patient. You hope they're listening but they have to make quite quick assessments.

HP

I do understand the short appointment times. But here is how I th No it could be done simply better and equally as short:

Good morning Mrs Y, sorry to hear your son isn't well, let's see what we can do to help. Listen to symptoms, think about solution. From what you have said it sounds like it could be a bacterial infection. Let's see if antibiotics can help. I hope he feels better soon. Have a nice day.