Christmas ideas for 41/2 yr old boy

Hi all, please help me with some gift ideas for my son who will be 5 in March. For the past two years he has been very clear with what he would like to play with (Thomas the tank engine, Ninja turtles etc). This year it is a little trickier (although I am turning a very deaf ear to any hints of star wars or video games).

What does your boys play with? We are travelling which complicates things a little.

I would love for something interactive that he can play with us and if it can help with spelling/reading/maths or fine motor skills then that would be fab. I sound like a complete spoilsport, I realise this.

I have a son a year older and also sometimes find myself stuck for ideas as I don't always want to buy him brightly coloured plastic things that he will lose interest in after 3 days. I think stuff for dressing up works quite well. (Melissa and Doug is probably best for quality). There are a couple of European brands that do slightly more unusual games (djeco, moulin Roty) but they are difficult to find. Kinder La La in Herne Hill have a nice selection of these brands plus playmobil and a few other brands. Tales on Half Moon Lane also has a few interesting things, not just books.

Thanks all, yes I think we are heading towards lego/playmobil but deary me im fed up with the 1000 little shi*** pieces everywhere! Thanks all for your ideas, keep them coming.

On the plus side lego does fit the fine motor skills criteria so I might be able to ignore the annoyance of all the pieces. Has anyone tried the lego mat that turns into a sack?

If your son likes Star Wars and you'd like him to practise his spelling/maths/etc, there are these Star Wars workbooks that our 4.5 year old son seem to enjoy. It's especially more fun when he's got a Star Wars pencil in hand. Might serve as entertainment during your travels.

When we travel, I usually bring along a card game like UNO or a deck of playing cards, & a mini Etch-a-Sketch.

What about Jenga for a game that you can all play and also helps with motor skills?