Sole parent of 5 month baby travel tips for long-haul flight

gatt4950

Hi all,

I may need to do a long haul 14 hour flight in the new year and wondered if any seasoned travellers out there had any tips to make it as easy and stress free as possible!

Baby will be 5 months old and is bf so no need to faff around with bottles. Wondering if I can just use the sling as on the other side I will have family waiting for me so they can give me a buggy there.

Also will try and get the bassinet seat on the flight.

Thanks in advance!

If you haven't already booked, I'd go for a night flight if possible. Sling is fine provided baby not too heavy, but it's usually v. easy to take pushchair to the door of the plane, and it gives you the option just in case, for example, you get delayed. Also, probably obvious but it pays to be very friendly and appreciative with cabin crew, who can make your life easier, or more difficult!

Probably the most important thing is to try not to get stressed - even if it's horrible it's only a few hours and then you're with family, and can relax. And 0-6 months is generally a very good age for long haul flights - it gets much harder once they are walking.

I flew to Australia solo with my then 5m old, I had worked myself up in to such a state thinking it was going to be horrendous and honestly it was fine. As DaveR said pre crawling / walking is the best time to go. My son refused to sleep anywhere except on me so I had to make sure I ate and drank very little to avoid having to use the toilet too often (and he refused to sit anywhere else so I couldn't pull down my tray table to eat(!!) but managed it with a ergo baby carrier and a maclaren (baby in carrier and carry on etc in the pram during transit).

Make friends with someone on the plane if you can i.e. someone sitting near you, I was changing my son in the toilet and he peed all over himself and the change table was slanted so ran all up his back (I laugh now) so I literally eyeballed the passenger I had become friendly with and asked him if he wouldn't mind bringing my carry on in so I could change him.

Fellow passengers once they see you flying solo with such a small cute little baby will show you more kindness than you realise.

good luck and have fun. xx

i forgot to say a change of clothes for you, or if space is tight, a change of top. just in case!

we also find that taking 2 bags helps - a wheely suitcase with back up spares and a rucksack or shoulder bag with the first line of defence! that way you only need to go up to the overhead lockers if you run out of stuff rather than having e.g. toys in one bag and nappies in another.

Echo what the others have said. Try to relax about it, it won't be too bad at all.

An "essentials" kit easily accessible is handy - wipes, nappies etc. I always took a sling when they were babies, useful for getting on/off the plane and through passport control, and if your baby ends up being unsettled it makes it easier for you to walk around in the plane.

I've travelled between London and NZ with my 3 kids many times over the past 10 years (my 10 year old has been there 12 times!) and we've never had a problem. People are nice, and understanding. When I see people with small babies on flights I always offer to help, as my 3 are self-sufficient now.

Good luck x

• 2 weeks later...
Ginster that is so true and i had forgotten. we ran out and ended up having to pay through the nose for nappies at the airport, so this is a very good tip. plus nappy cream if they are prone to rash (under the 100ml guideline or whatever it is now!)

We always take 1 nappy per hour of travel, plus a full pack of wet wipes. The other things to carry on are a couple of changes of comfortable clothes (babygrows, tracksuit trousers NOT jeans) and some basic medicines (sachets of calpol etc).

We took to checking the stroller at the main check-in counter and just using a carrier through the airport; packing up the stroller at the gate was always a hassle especially when juggling a baby. Some airports (e.g. Dubai) do have 'courtesy buggies' when you get off the plane.