School choices question

carebear

I'm trying to get my head round primary school applications and wondered if anyone can answer my question...

We have two schools in mind. Our first choice is q far away (we're on the edge of where offers were made last year). Our second choice is very nearby and my understanding is that we are very likely to get it.

My question is, if we apply in that order and then don't get our first choice, would we be just as likely to get second based on distance or might all of those places have been offered by then, meaning we'd be more likely to be offered third, fourth, fifth etc?

If it makes no difference, I feel like we might as well put first choice down. Given that it's unlikely though, don't want to ruin our chances and second choice so I'm trying to work out it better to put that as first as more reliable.

TIA and I hope I've made sense!

The order in which you put your preferences doesn't ever harm you.

Basically, if you fill in all 6 preference slots, your interest in all 6 will be analyzed simultaneously. Whichever school highest on your list can offer you a place is the one you'll be allocated and your name will be withdrawn from the other schools.

I'm simplifying, but that's the basic principle so just know that there is zero downside in listing your preferred school first even when its not your most realistic option.

Good luck!

LM

Hi carebear, it's absolutely fine to put a couple of long-shots at the top of your list. If you don't get those it doesn't reduce your chance to be offered the closest school. One thing I do want to add, however, please don't put only two schools down. You have 6 choices and it's best to use them if you can. The school you live very close to may be more popular than usual or there may more siblings than usual. It has happened that a school may have a last place offered distance of under 300m! Parents have been disappointed as they went by previous year's figures and assumed their child would get in.

Renata

Hi carebear we did this last year. We live opposite to our third choice school and our top two choices were further away. We ended up being offered our third choice at first but then got offered a place at our "long shot" first choice school in May. Put them down in genuine order of preference but ensure that you put your nearest school down on your list as well. And use all your six choices.

Good luck