Attempted mugging and assault Peckham Rye park Boxing Day afternoon

Fellow park users,my children were in Peckham rye park today at the skate park at roughly 3pm, they left and were followed by a group of 6-8 kids , a mixture of ethnicities, mainly on bikes, they corned one son by the gate and demanded phone money etc. My eldest was with my 7 year old he went back to other son and was punched in the head, 7 and 11 year old tried to intervene and were threatened, oldest son then ran and found passing adults who managed to scare them off. My 7 year old girl is traumatised and

I'm naturally furious and worried as to the safety of children at Peckham Rye. Please warn your own children, and if you were the adults that intervened thank you. I have raised this with the police.

Police have been excellent, unfortunately this seems to have not been the only incident with this group, the police suggest that anyone else mugged/threatened in the rye reports it, its the best way to insure increased patrols in area and have a chance of catching/stopping them. My kids are 17/14/11/7 they have been going to Peckham Rye all their lives. The 14 year old was slightly behind the others as they left the park, he was pulled aside by the gate opposite Harris girls, held against fence, my 17 year old seeing this went back holding 7 year olds hand, I think he felt like the adult, he had a little girl with him and remonstrated with the boys to leave his brother alone. Biggest of group then punches him on side of head, leaving him with cut and swollen ear. I think he was in shock and then felt vulnerable and feared for his sisters safety. He saw a young child on a scooter coming round corner, figured they would have adults with them and ran shout to them to help, they did thank goodness and boys all ran off back into park.

I think for my 17 year old son he felt very vulnerable when attacked holding his sisters hand, worried for her and his other brother as they were heavily outnumbered and the group were violent, aggressive and appeared dressed for the part in hoods and bandanas covering their faces. Plus in was 3 in the afternoon he really did not expect it.

They and I really love the park, spend a lot of time there and I really am determined that a bunch of di@kheads are not going to change that so please keep and eye out and let police park wardens know of any incidents. and once again to the adults that came to their rescue thank you.