Football one-to-one coaching

Hi, my son started a new school in Sept and all the boys are football mad. My son has the enthusiasm but is constantly put in goal and he lacks some of the core basic skills and understanding of the game. He doesn't want to join a big group at this stage - so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some fun one-to-one football lessons (near Herne hill / Dulwich) just to get him up to a point where he can play with the others in his class. Thanks. Lindsay

Don't know about one-to-one but you could take him to JAGS or Athenlay with Danny on Saturday mornings. Just turn up ( 9 am I think for both)and pay your fiver.

they are both very welcoming to newcomers and will help him work on his skills whilst having lots of fun. Plus he will make loads of mates very quickly. I know it isn't quite what you are looking for but I do recommend.

(In interests of fair disclosure two of my boys were regular attenders when younger and coached there when older)

Can anyone recommend somewhere other than football magic for a 6 year old wanting to get into football? We did the football magic taster and it was a bit of a throwback, very little actual coaching, 20 kids all swarming round the ball at the same time. My son left in tears after being berated by several kids for letting a goal in. I wanted to find somewhere that would foster a bit of enthusiasm but this has sadly had the opposite effect. He hasn't played much before so we're looking for somewhere a bit more hands on and fun where the emphasis is more on developing basic skills, passing etc rather than a disorganised mass-kickabout.

It sounds like there is a gap in the football activities world for a beginners class for age 6+. My son is also 6 and has already decided he's not good at football because there is already a huge gap now between the kids who have been really into it from toddlers and are now quite skilful (and who take it very seriously!) , and everyone else. And it seems such a shame for him to write off such a potentially fun sport at the age of 6! Maybe we should get our non-expert footballers together for a kick about.

For classes rather than 1:1, there are the classes with Danny at JAGS and Athenlay mentioned above (drop in I think). There was also a class on Saturdays that met at Peckham Rye near the cafe I think - someone may have the contact details for that. And I think Little Kickers also has classes for up to age 7.

We have similar issues ie not very experienced 5 and 6 yr old who would like to get into football but intimidated by the kick-abouts at school. Currently going to Athenlay on Saturday mornings but can't see any actual 'coaching' going on. It's a lovely club and Danny is great but it's really just an extended kick about and don't think my sons are feeling any more confident. Would love to find a place that really coaches that age group.

Young Stars. Saturdays 3pm at Burgess Park. Session always starts with skills and small match at the end. I've been very pleased with the organisation and ended up booking them for an indoor football themed birthday party which was also excellent.

Call Eddie on