Scarlet fever - again?

A question for those of you with medical knowledge (saffron, buggie are you out there? So little Ivydale has contracted Scarlet fever - again! He was treated for this in November. The doctor was v sceptical it was one of those "never in my career have I come across a chils that has suffered this twice" but in the end he was "pretty sure still" that is what it is. So am I, symptoms are identical to last time. Should I be worried that he is getting these strep infections regularily? I am generally really worried about strep infections (my dad contracted serious valve implications as a result as a child) and I have myself had to have my tonsils removed and got an infection in my heart as a teen following tonsilitis.

Service at dmc hit an all time low for me today and for the first time in 12 years with them I lost it (dont worry i wasnt rude or anything, just in dispair). It shouldn't have to be like this. I called 39 times this morning. Waited all day for a call back. Which came at 5.36pm. The doctor then said "yea sounds bad, you need to call 111". I just cried.

Yes, it's totally possible to get Scarlet Fever twice in a short period of time. It's not common, but it is possible. Cases of Scarlet Fever have been increasing for several years in a row, though the reason is not known. And it is also possible for adults to get Scarlet Fever, though symptoms sometimes differ somewhat to children.

Strep infections, like Scarlet Fever, are not a cause for great worry if treated promptly. Indeed most cases will clear up on their own without antibiotics. However, antibiotics greatly reduce symtpoms and reduce the length of time individuals are contagious, so they also prevent the spread of disease to vulnerable persons.

Some people appear to be less sensitive to Scarlet Fever, which conversely suggests others may be more susceptible or sensitive. As long as you see your LO's symptoms improving, I don't think there's excessive cause for concern. Of course, it couldn't hurt to keep an extra careful eye on things.

I don't blame you for despairing with the GP service. Waiting all day for a call back is not good. Were you able to get a prescription for your LO in the end? Personally, I've only ever had good interactions with the 111 service, but just as a word of caution, it's not necessarily a doctor on the other end of the line. It may be 'trained adviser' instead. So, always go with your instinct if you think something isn't right when it comes to your child's health.

I think it would be worth flagging up the long wait for a call back with an official complaint. I hope your LO is feeling better very soon. xx