Best mosquito repellant

tiddles

Prior to going to East Africa I tried pretty much every type of anecdotal precaution along with products suggested on an East African travel site. I took Vitamin B pills for 3 months prior and whilst I was there; I ate a lot of vegemite (and took some with me) plus used any mosquito repellent containing Deet (eg., Ultramarathon). A product that doesn't use Deet is Icognito. I'd also suggest taking a sewing kit to sew up any holes in Mosquito nets and if possible, burn local coils in her room or when sitting outside in the evening and morning. If she is not sure whether there will be mosquito nets, take one with you. And remember, mosquitos are really only a problem when near bodies of water. If she's going to the Serengeti or Ngorongoro, they are not as much of a problem.

I hope she has a wonderful time! It's an amazing place.

I'm a shocker for mozzies. I get big egg like bites. I also go to Asia regularly. The best advice I can give is to buy mozzie repellant in the country you go to. The more deet in it the better and in foreign lands they put way more deet in their product than we do. It's not some super healthy solution I understand, but with bites like mine the more eco solutions I would normally opt for are useless.

The tests were done on B1 and B5 I think and there has been some evidence (I'm not sure how rigorous that is) that when sweating, and with sufficient doses over a period of time beforehand, mossies are less attracted. I would never, ever advocate doing this on its own, especially in an area where there is a risk of mosquito born disease, but I basically through everything scientific or non-scientific at myself and didn't manage to get bitten once (even when sitting near a lake in early morning).

I would second yeknomyeknom's comment about buying local!

treehugger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EDmummy do you mean vitamin B12 rather than

> Vitamin B?