Starting secondary school - inductions?

nunheadmum

Can anyone advise if state secondary schools do any kind of induction for the new year 7's and does this ever encroach on the summer holiday period - e.g. for kids who may get a place from waitlists?

My daughter is due to start year 7 after the holidays and we expect there's a good chance we'll be waiting on a waitlist place at preferred schools. But due to work issues, I may need to book our summer hols at the end of the school holiday period. I'm wondering if we could find that the school we get runs some induction sessions in that last week or so and hence would be best to keep it clear.

Anyone with any past experience?

It varies from school to school. Usually a general day for all during year 6 final term and primaries know pupils will take the day off to attend (obvs let them know though). Then at sometime in the summer hols various days / wk / 2wk induction activities - had to pay for these days at my daughter's school and were entirely optional.

Contact your schools now and ask - just explain trying to avoid potential dates.

Good luck, announcements must be soon.

Hi Nunheadmum,

Most schools have their induction days in the sumnmer term after SATs. A couple have extra induction sessions at the end of July. I don't know of any with August inductions. You would need, however to check the start of term dates for all the schools you applied for as academies/VAs (all Southwark secondaries and some Lewisham ones) set their own dates and the year 7s may start before the returning classes (eg Haberdashers start on 31st August for year 7s).

Renata

It's a little too early to expect secondary schools to have their induction timetable confirmed.

Some, but not all, will send initial dates with the formal offer letter.

As previously mentioned, there will be at least one open day for new students in the Summer term. Some schools

will also have an assessment morning where children sit a series of tests for the collation of baseline data.

There may also be a day for children who aren't joining with a cohort from their primary school. Plus you may also have a Summer camp on offer, usually 4-5 days. My son's school offered this for free.

Thanks Mrs TP. I think if my daughter was going to a school without other friends, I'd prefer her to do any pre-start stuff she could as she is on the quiet side and I think she'd appreciate a chance to meet others in a smaller group situation. And as I suspect we may end up waiting on a place over the summer hols, we may miss any end of term prep.

But then again, we may be lucky on Wednesday. The butterflies start!