Au pair advice please

Hi

I am looking to get an au pair to help with my three small children aged 1, 2.5 and 4. I have been using au pair world website and I am currently not having much luck finding some one with experience of young baby's/toddlers. Has anyone got any tips or advice on what I should be asking and paying?

Thanks

Philippa

Au pairs are normally recommended for children of school age as wraparound care, not for small children, and certainly not to be left unsupervised as they have little experience.

You really need an experienced nanny/childminder with three kids of that age.

Our au pairs had sole charge of our children for a couple of hours a day when they were babies and toddlers and it was fine. Just take the time to teach them what you want them to do (by that I mean have them shadow you and share tasks with you - not just a verbal instruction). They got used to nappies and bottles quite quickly and enjoyed dressing, feeding and playing with the children. Choose someone who likes little kids and perhaps has helped out with a baby cousin, young sibling or other small family member. It sounds like you are home most of the time, so they would not have sole charge of all three for much of the time. If you are not sure, invite a potential over to visit for the weekend and see how you get on. Good luck!

I would not suggest using an au pair to look after babies or toddlers. We have had nannies and have moved onto au pairs now kids are at school. Live in nanny is a better way to go, more expensive but you get what you pay for. Or perhaps you could find someone with a bit of experience who might be a helping hand for a few hours here and there. Just speaking from personal experience.