St. Anthony's, Goodrich and Heber placements for Secondary 2017

I am a parent at Heber & I know that the majority were given the new Charter. The catchment seems to extend to the junction of Rodwell/ Heber Road junction with Crystal Palace road all the way back to Barry road & underhill. There were a few Harris boys & girls around the Upland Road area (close to Peckham Rye Park) & a bit further up Crystal Palace Road.

The old Charter extended to Melbourne grove & colwell, but didn't quite extend to some parts of Dovercourt.

A few Sydenham offers, Marmora & Overhill rd & some way down Forest hill road, but didn't extend into Underhill, Colyton, Upland or any of the roads closer to Heber.

I only know of 1 Kingsdale offer at Heber, which is not a sibling place.

Last year 6 or 7 kids got into Kingsdale from Heber, at least one via the waiting list (remember: it ain't over till it's over - there's always a lot of movement on waiting lists). Also remember that Charter ED is due to move into its new building next year so I believe they will be taking more pupils in the 2018 intake. I'd be very surprised if you find yourself in a black hole if you live in the part of ED that is near the primary schools you mention, now that Charter ED is up and running and taking the pressure off other school places.

I'm a St A parent but I live top end of Nunhead, just off Peckham Rye so def further away from Syd school than you (it was my first choice) I got my sixth (but nearest) choice, Harris Girls. However I know of girls around Dunstan's Road, v near Goodrich like you who did get Sydenham girls. Only the middle of East D people seemed to get the new Charter and only those v close to old Charter got it. I know of one Kingsdale (non sibling) and a few Harris Boys (they live in East D) We are a Catholic school so a few religious allocations which assume don't apply to you. If you live near Goodrich I think you should be OK - it's the families over the other side of the Rye (around Colyton Road) who would traditionally hope to get Sydenham Girls that didn't this year due to its massive increase in popularity (it was the first choice on many girls lists at St A list)

It was this exact black hole that people were worrying about when there were all the arguments about the new Charter catchment. I live near Goodrich school and my daughter goes to Sydenham, but she is in year 11. I understand that it has become more over-subscribed in recent years.

My understanding is also that Forest Hill Boys and Sydenham have changed how they deal with applications in the past 1 or 2 years . They used to have 5 bands of ability, and take an equal number from each ability band, with over application dealt with by distance. So the 'less able' band had a much bigger 'catchment' than the 'most able' band. Now the bands have gone, and it is just distance, so that will have an impact on how far the children come from.

Ses to me that having a choice is a bit of an illusion because if you're in 'catchment' for one school you are out of 'catchment' for another unless of course you're in the village where perhaps you might qualify for both Charters?

Will you be waiting it out EMC in the hope of getting in somewhere else or are you happy to stick with Harris Girls?