Anyone used PGL?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has sent their child(ren) on a PGL activity week? I would be interested to know if your child enjoyed their stay there and which site did you send them to.

I am thinking about sending my daughter when she is 7 years old but wondering whether this is too young.

Thanks.

I have heard great things about PGL but I don't know anyone personally who has sent their children. I am thinking of sending my 9 year daughter for the first time. Looking at this thread with interest to see if others have recent experience. I know they have mini taster holidays for those who don't want to commit to a whole week and also holiday weeks for just for 1st timers.

No recent experience but I went on one as a 9 year old in the mid 80s with my then best friend. It still stands out as one of the best holidays I had as a child. I wasn't a massively sporty child, much more into books and academic, but I didn't feel out of my depth and they got me to try stuff I'd never normally have done like abseiling and shooting. If it's anything like it was then I'd definitely recommend it.

My two daughters went twice last year with varied results! First time was at Easter for the taster - two nights in Sussex/Surrey. They were aged 8 and 9 at the time and they each went with a school friend, so they were a little gang of four (safety in numbers!). They came back having had a brilliant time, and were raving about all the fun and freedom they'd enjoyed.

Off the back of that we booked a week in Dorset in the summer, for them. For that trip there were 5 of them but it was much less successful. The 5th (new) member of the group pretty much hated it on arrival and called home repeatedly until her parents went to collect her early. This proved quite disruptive for the others so they all came back saying it was so-so, they didn't like the food, it was 'boring' etc.

So my lessons learnt are that going with a friend is a good thing (and the special offers are aplenty for booking more than one child). And trying it out with a couple of nights in the first instance worked well. I do think that if we'd stuck to our original foursome, the second trip would have been more successful, but sending a 9 year old away for a week without any shorter introduction to the PGL experience, was probably a bit much for her.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

My two went for the first time last year - 12 and 13 - and absolutely loved it. The highlight of their plans for this summer is a return trip. But I do think 7 is probably a bit young.

Interestingly, they were both insistent that they do not want to go with a friend this summer because I think they enjoy the freedom of making new friends. Last year one went with a friend and one went on her own (they went to different centres).

• 1 month later...
I sent my three kids aged 8-11, for a week at Easter and they loved it. They came back about 3 years older in thier conversation. Really helped challenge them and raise their confidence and independence. The also do bogofs so that made it really reasonable about ?250 for s week residential with food included. Highly recommend.