Looking for a 7+ tutor for JAGS / Alleyns entry

We are trying to find a tutor to help our daughter with her 7+ exams and hoping for a recommendation if anyone has had success in gaining entry to JAGS or Alleyns. Very happy to hear from tutors too if you come across this post and have this sort of experience. Many thanks!

lots of people we know used a woman called Pat who apparently is very well known in the world of 7+tutors.

For what it's worth, we didn't use a tutor but we did employ a strategy: Our daughter was at Herne Hill school where they prepped them brilliantly, and the only additional work we did was a kumon class from Spring Term in Year 1. She railed against it, but we persisted and it really worked- her mental maths was faster and more accurate then than it sometimes is now! Apart from kumon, we then applied extra effort from after the autumn half-term in Year 2. So we did weekly Bond papers and story writing every Saturday morning for an hour and then over the Christmas period preceding the assessments, every day apart from Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and NYE. And we got the latest possible dates for all her assessments. It sounds a lot but we did far less than most people we knew.

If you're a two parent family, I'd suggest it's vital to be joined up with your partner on the approach - it can get very stressful and you need to be able to share the burden. But it is only short lived and, if successful, the benefits are tremendous.

Our daughter wasn't stressed by the assessments at all as even though there are written tests and it is a formal process, there is play based assessment too and she rather enjoyed it! She was offered a place at every school she went for. She is now very happily in Year 5 at Alleyn's and we have that stress behind us, while friends are starting to sweat about the looming nightmare of the 11+.

If you work, try to go part-time for a bit - it helps with your own stress levels! Hope that's all helpful.

Archived