Please advice for cat

CLAD

hello all, my son will be 10 soon and he realy want to have a cat for long time. i dont realy know if i could do this as we live in a second flor flat with no garden, also i dont know if all the cats are able to learn (not mess the house), is the cat expensive to keep what about the vet or anything else, please advice. thank you C.

A lot of cats are unhappy indoors. But some are ok with it, some have become used to it. Much easier to tell when the cats are adults.

As for costs, you need to account for food (we spend roughly ?15-20 a month) and litter (?15 a month). Then there are the visits to the vets, initial vaccinations and boosters (Around ?40 a visit) and pet insurance (?15 a month)...

This link might help: http://www.petwebsite.co.uk/cats/buying-a-cat/the-cost-of-keeping-a-cat

Call the Celia Hammond Trust, they'll be able to advise you further.

Vets are not cheap, and even indoor cats require checkups from time to time.

Cats can easily be litter trained for toileting. But it's harder to teach them to scratch in only one place for their claws. Scratching posts help. Scratching is an essential natural behaviour, so you can't stop them from it. You can trim their claws which minimises damage if they scratch where they shouldn't.

Sometimes cats with age or health related problems make suitable indoor pets, but generally speaking keeping a healthy cat totally indoors can be challenging, particularly if you've no experience with cats.

I'm wondering if a small dog would be a better choice, as it would be easy to give it adequate outdoor exercise? xx

I'd advise you to look for a rescue cat that needs rehoming, and one that has always been kept indoors - as plenty have.

From my own experience, female cats seem to prefer staying indoors - but that's my limited experience of two females (and talking to other people about their cats).. the latter is one of a pair of siblings, and won't leave the house via the catflap, but will venture into the garden if you open the door for her, and makes no attempt to explore further. Our other female cat would only use our garden. If a cat has been kept in all their life - without any distress being noted - then it might be perfect for you? :-)

But yes, please consider a rescue cat, rather than a new kitten :-)

Hi Monkey

I lived in a flat with my cat, but I was only one floor up so I trained him to go down the communal stairs. As long as you can train him to come in when you call.

You're unlike to have many vet bills if your cat lives indoors.

Suzie

Regarding indoor jabs, I found this interesting: http://www.purtonvets.co.uk/feline-vaccination/4579953018

It's also surprising the trouble they can get themselves into indoors, like my cat who ate a ball of tinfoil (presumably out of the bin when no one was around).

Then there's dental treatment... if they make it to middle age, dental treatment is highly recommended. I did it for my two last year. It was ungodly expensive, but the change in my cats has been obvious. They eat more and are notably more active. Just food for thought. xx