Charter Red Post Hill 'Catchment'

We live just under 1km from Charter Red Post Hill (970 metres according the Google Maps).

The Website says the furthest ever offered is 2000 metres, so although we are within that, it doesn't tell me any more. According to Rightmove we are in the admissions area (although I don't know where that information comes from). I know families on our road and at least one road further away do have children at the school, but of course I don't know any more about their circumstances on admission (if it was based on distance, or on other factors).

Is anyone able to share any info on typical distance from the school.

(and this is no relation to the other thread on 'renters row'... we've been in our house for a long long time!!)

Thank you

AFAIK this kind of information is not published publicly. You should try to contact the school and ask them directly; if you do, it would be interesting if you could post the answer here.

To be honest I have no idea if the school is obliged to share this information, or can refuse to do so when asked explicitly.

PS I'd imagine the new Charter on ED will relieve some pressure off its North Dulwich 'sister' school.

If you ring or email the admissions team there they will tell you the furthest distance offered. Someone did this last year and posted it in one of the discussions about secondary admissions. I can't find the post now, but from memory it was 1,050m. That, I think, was "safe walking route". I believe that this year they are switching to "as the crow flies" distance. You're best to ring and ask them, but I'd leave it until September if you want this year's distance as I think you still get a lot of movement all through the summer holidays, right up to the start of term.

Thanks - I'm looking for Sep 2018, and yes the Admissions Policy for 2018 is now as crow flies, and no longer safest walking distance. Which makes us closer than the distance I'd mentioned above, although would also make lots of addresses closer I guess?

Will call them and see if they can say for Sep 2017 entry, once that is all finalised.

Just to say Charter, Red Post Hill's policy for admissions seems to have changed for 2018. If you look on their website they have five admission points. Point iv (five) which is the last admission criteria, is for students living nearest to the school.

So if you live near to the school you might have a chance.

Point v (four) is for the admission of children of teachers at the school.

Policy makes sense to me, especially when there are teacher shortages for secondary. Whilst a teacher's children are at primary school they will be in a after-school club, but there is no such thing for secondary. Having your 11 year old at the school where you teach may be the deciding factor on whether you are able to keep your job (since child can come to your classroom after school and so not be home alone until 6pm).

I'm 100% in favour of children of teachers having a priority. If we want our local schools to have good teachers we need to give them every possible incentive to keep teaching in SE22 once they have a family (when, chances are, they have to live somewhere quite a distance away that is more affordable).