Booster in front passenger seat - airbag on or off?

srisky

I thought you were only supposed to turn them off for rear facing car seats? Be aware though that in cars where a passenger airbag is fitted the seatbelt is likely to have adjusted torsion to reflect the presence of the airbag so that any passenger in such a seat may be less well restrained in the event of a collision if the airbag has been turned off.

With a child that's 112cm and 17kg, the safest option in the front seat would be for them to rear face (and then you need the airbag off). There are loads of extended rear facing seats on the market, and almost all can go in the front passenger seat.

Failing that, you should consult the manual for your car. In general, the passenger seat should be as far back as possible and the airbag should be on if a child is in a booster seat. The caveat to this is that you need to leave enough space for the rear passengers too (I'm assuming that the rear passengers are younger children in forward facing seats - if so the minimum distance from the back of the car seat to the back of the seat in front should be 55cm).

It's hugely complicated - and there is an expert on the forum called Rose Bolt who runs a local(ish) car seat company called Rear Facing Toddlers. She gives excellent advice.

Thanks all - I understand the value of the extended rear facing seats and we have two in the back for both my children for regular use. Occasionally when I am giving a third child a lift I put the taller child in the booster in the front passenger (very tricky to squeeze them into the middle of the two rear facing seats), hence the question. Good idea to check manual!

Could you put the rear facing seat in the front and then the booster in the back? It's more of a faff but probably safer. Also, the type of booster that you have could change whether you can get three in the back. The Britax Adventure is cheap, rated to be safe and is very narrow. It tends to fit in the middle back seat in most medium-large family cars. You're welcome to try ours if you want to test the fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify for anyone else searching on this thread - there is no law that restricts the age of passengers in the front. There are laws on appropriate seat belt usage and who is responsible, but not who can sit in the front of an ordinary car.

More generally if you do have to have a child in the front seat it is safest to have a rear facing seat with the airbag switched off (ie if you have the choice between a younger and older child as to placement).

For older children in High Backed Boosters you need to check what the manual of your specific car says in relation to whether the airbag should be on or off.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Hello, I'm looking for an entertainer for my 9 year old son's birthday party. Looking for someone who can organise some games for the kids as my son and his friends are quite active. Regards, Sue
    • My son’s primary school hatched duck eggs, probably under this scheme around 12 years ago.  We were all very upset to hear that 2 of the (5 year old) boys had knocked the incubator over & all eggs smashed.   feeling a lot less sad about that now!  
    • What would I do about cyclists?  The failed Tory manfesto commitment to train all kids was an excellent proposal.  Public information campaigns aimed at all road users, rather than singling some out, to more considerately share the road, as TfL have done, is welcome too. As for crunching vehicles.  I'd extend this to illegal ebikes, illegal e-scoooters (I think some local authorities have done this with the latter) but before that I would (a) legislate that the delivery companies move away from zero hours contracts to permanent employees and take responsibility for their training, vehicles and behaviour on the road.   More expensive takeaways are a price worth paying for safer roads and proper terms and conditions (b) legislate to register all illegal e-bikes and scooters so that when they are found on the road the retailer takes a hit, and clamp down on any grey markets.  If you buy an e scooter say from Halfords this comes with a disclaimer that it can only be used on private land with the owner's permission.
    • I know a lot of experts in the field and getting a franchise was a license to print money, that is why Virgin were so happy to spend lots of dosh challenging government ten years ago when they lost the West Coast franchise.  This will not be overnight, rather than when the franchise has come to the end. Government had previously taking over the operator of last resort when some TOCs screwed up. Good, at last some clear blue water between the parties.  Tories said they were going to do a halfway house, but I've not noticed.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Railways   : "On 19 October 2022, Transport Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan announced that the Transport Bill which would have set up GBR would not go ahead in the current parliamentary session.[15] In February 2023, Transport Secretary Mark Harper re-affirmed the government's commitment to GBR and rail reform.[16] The 2023 King's speech announced the progression of a draft Rail Reform Bill which would enable the establishment of GBR, although it has not been timetabled in the Parliamentary programme.[5] The Transport Secretary Mark Harper later told the Transport Select Committee that the legislation was unlikely to reach Royal Assent within the 2023-2024 parliamentary session.[17]"
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In