OT from Southwark for autustic under 5. Problems with them?

Hi there. What is your experience with Southwark OT team? Are you happy with the assessments they do and the care they offer? Is anyone receiving ongoing therapy for their ASD child or trying to win some provision from them? Also have you tried to ask for sensory integration therapy? I'd appreciate any info about problems/positive experience,outcomes from tribunals (if anyone has won any provision or lost their appeal)

Thanks.

My child was referred to Southwark OT by the Sunshine House physios. However, he was not considered to meet the threshold for help after he'd been assessed. This was basically because he could perform various tasks, even though he was below par in a lot of areas - the OT said that it was really for children with very serious needs. As I recall, they didn't offer sensory integration therapy, only the more traditional OT. Maximum Potential in West Norwood offer sensory integration therapy privately and I think there are some OTs in Clapham that do also.

My daughter had help from Sunshine House OTs for self dressing, tying shoe laces, using a knife and fork and riding a bike. The provision was limited, targeted but effective. I have no idea what support they offer for ASD, but I do understand that the service is budget-strapped and thinly spread.

I think the system within Sunshine house's OT is:

If the case is easy and they CAN be bothered to work, they will. Then they can claim some sucess.

If someone has enough issues but the team decides NOT to work with them, they simply put this person in the "not disabled enough" category, as if this is a reason to neglect a person with needs?? Maybe just a clever trick to save cash for the LA

When "a disabled enough person" tries to access the service, the answer would be that they are understaffed, underpaid and they don't do ongoing therapy. Perhaps this is an excuse that they are actually underqualified OR they believe that helping that person is money gone to waste.

OT done by qualified people DOES work, DOES change people's lifes and shouldn't be denied to anybody.

From what I can ascertain, social services budgets for 2017/18 have been severely cut by several millions of pounds.

I am not sure what the effect is on children's OT service but it is quite bad in the adult services.

My daughter is an OT in Surrey and works a 5 day fortnight during which time she has over 30 cases to deal with.

Surrey have reduced the number of qualified social workers in adult services and have employed the 'cheaper' social work assistants ( who have good knowledge and experience but cannot undertake certain tasks as not professionally qualified).

The Tory Government are to blame for restricting and reducing social services budgets.

Well, my personal experience is shockingly bad. I go to see an OT with my child, he doesn't observe her. He then produces a couple of pages of basic advise that I can get from the internet.. 9 months after another referral- just one contact with nursery without any targets or advise..

I talking about people that don't know the difference between low muscle tone and gross motor skills.

Avoid

Avoid

AVOID

It is not only the budget cuts to be blamed.

Southwark used to provide better care. Now the managers have simplified the service to the point it doesn't make any sense. They don't feel the importance to assess, the main thing they do is staff meetings and courses and rarely get to work with kids. How much sience is in the sentense "There is nothing we can do now. She's just not ready to develop. She will get there when she's ready"?

By the way, Southwark has spent around ?16000 for rebranding. The fullstop is now gone.

Priorites!