Gumboots holiday club

I've used it in the past for my kids though they are too old for it now (I think the 'peak' age for it is around 6-9, though they do take younger and older children). I thought it was good - very reasonable value, lots of activities (craft and sporty), trips to the playground/park, cinema, bowling etc, or into town (I remember they did a cruise up the Thames one summer). The people who run it are nice and my kids got quite attached to a couple of them.

It's less full-on supervised than Nimble Arts - there seems to be a fair bit of free time where they can play board games, pool etc or play football outside, or even curl up in the book corner if they wish. So for us it suited us more when my kids went with other friends so they had other people to hang out with in the free-time bits (rather than just with each other all the time, though of course they did make other friends as the day would wear on). It's quite a long day, which was a godsend for me when I was working, but in retrospect it was a bit much for them and I probably should have picked them up a bit earlier. My only criticism of it is that I don't think the older and younger kids were kept very separate, so the first times we did it my youngest child found it quite intimidating with so many older children running around. Plus the Darrell Road Community Centre is a bit grotty, though that's not their fault. But other than that it's a good and well-run club and I would recommend.

Redjam wrote

'with so many older children running around. Plus the Darrell Road Community Centre is a bit grotty, though that's not their fault. But other than that it's a good and well-run club and I would recommend.'

Would be helpful if explanation be given as why they thought centre was grotty?. As part of the Management Committee we are conscious that our centre may be old, but it is well maintained externally and internally - given limitations

of the building. Gumboots have used this centre for over 20 years for their daily after school and holiday clubs.

Can the 'grottiness' be changed - if so please advise.

Hi Pugwash - well, it's subjective of course and perhaps a bit of a harsh criticism - just a general impression that it needs a lick of paint and that the loos could be a bit more pleasant. Not suggesting it's dirty or unsafe in any way.

My boys went there last summer and will go this summer again. They enjoyed it although they were quite young last summer so will probably enjoy it even more this summer when they are not the youngest. I like the staff and think the site is good - enough space to run around outside!

My son has been attending the Gumboots Summer play scheme since he started reception - he is now year 6!

He has always attended the long days due to my work and always been happy there. Dave who runs it is lovely.

I think they have a good balance between planned activities, outings and free play. I would recommend it and not sure what I would have done without it! Planning for new summer adventures now though - end of an era.