Water play areas/childrens paddling pools

Hi,

We are relatively new to the area, and I am still figuring out all the things to do with my toddler locally. In this heat, a really local childrens paddling pool would have been fantastic, but I have foubd it a bit of a mission to get to ones around here, either because the bus always has two buses on it (getting back from Herne Hill), or they dont open til later in the day, or take too long to get to given my one year old has the attention span of a knat and tends to be happy in one place for relatively short periods.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows why there isn't a water play area in Dulwich Park or Peckham Rye Park, and if there isn't a known reason, whether anyone has tried to ask the council to consider one?

I know money is very tight for councils, but I would certainly be willing to put money into a fund to build a water play area in either of these parks if lots of others were similarly interested, and would be willing to make enquiries with the council....if this hasn't already been done!

I did try to search to see if this has been discussed before but came across a million adverts for blow up paddling pools so didnt get that far theough the list.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Helen

Have you tried Myatt's Fields water play or Ruskin Park paddling pool?

Further away, but the fountains at Somerset House, Granary Square in King Cross and More London at London Bridge are all good fun too for younger children. Perhaps as part of a bigger day out.

I imagine that money is the obstacle to creating a more local facility. Especially as they are only really used for 3 months of the year. Possible perhaps, with a really big fundraising campaign and grant applications?

That would be great if they did. I'll go and have a chat with the manager and ask what the plans are - would be good for local families to be involved in the plans if possible

Thanks for your replies