Jury Summons....can I skip it?

meli

Hi there

I'm in need of some advice. I received jury summons through the post today. I have a 10 months old child. My husband works full time and can't take time off to look after our son for unknown amount of time as he runs his own business. We have no family around either who could help us out.

Anyone got excluded from jury service because of small children?

See: https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service

You would have to make a very good case on the reply form. That may include getting confirmation from your husband's employer that he cannot take time off work. They might allow for a deferral until a later date if you can make a good enough case. Why not give them a ring a discuss it before you return the form (just be aware of penalties for late return etc.)

I think with such a young child you stand a very good chance. Put it all in writing and apply. Are you still breastfeeding? I'd emphasise the sole carer of child first - and refer to her/him as a baby (they are) rather than child. Make the argument it's not in the baby's well being to be upset by short term care scenarios when they aren't used to anyone else but you. Then raise the family's sole income aspect. Think about whether you'd be prepared to defer and says so (although if you don't go back to work you might just be in the same situation in 12 months)..,.

In my experience they are understanding and reasonable...

Just to note - remember it's you (not your husband) that's been called. So I don't know if you would be able to claim the fraction of his income as expenses, he'd be paid for childcare (at their rate).

So make the point that the loss to you is far greater. But focus on you and YOUR reasons for not being able to do it.

I got called for jury service whilst on my last maternity leave. I was allowed to defer. I wrote saying I was on maternity leave and still breast feeding and that my child was not yet in nursery etc. The deferral was only for about 6 months and happened to be about three weeks after I went back to work! Not the most convenient but at least my little one was in nursery by that point and they paid for her additional days.

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely call them first thing on Monday.

I've read it on other forums that people with babies got exclusions (or at least being able to do it at later time) but let's see what they say. Hopefully I will talk to a nice and understandable person.

Actually I'm not on maternity leave anymore, working part-time as a nanny but obviously my little one comes to work with me. It's not the work I'm worried about. But we can't be both off with my hubby for 10+ days....anyway will see.

I was called for jury service while at university - it came to my home address and my mum opened it up and turned it down on my behalf (thinking about it - that's probably illegal) and without telling me until a long time afterwards - saying I was studying in a different city and my studies would be affected if it was a long-running trial. I was disappointed when I found out and have never been called on again - or that I know about :)

Well in the form they say booked and paid holidays are fine so they let you to defer. I think mothers with babies should be excluded from jury service completely without even have to explain themselves. Why do I have to be forced to leave my child with a stranger when he never spent more than 2 hours away from me and even then he was either with his dad or grandma. Anyway...will know more tomorrow (hopefully)

Yes. They will let you defer once in your circumstance or with a holiday. But not the second time. The second time you have a chance to talk to the judge. From watching many of my co jurors walk up to the judge at the front of the court to ask permission to leave, he was very very strict at this point.

meli Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well in the form they say booked and paid

> holidays are fine so they let you to defer. I

> think mothers with babies should be excluded from

> jury service completely without even have to

> explain themselves. Why do I have to be forced to

> leave my child with a stranger when he never spent

> more than 2 hours away from me and even then he

> was either with his dad or grandma. Anyway...will

> know more tomorrow (hopefully)

You should be excused indefinitely. I did jusry service a few years ago, and I have 3 children. The administrator handling the claims for compensation for costs was really surprised that I was there, and told me that almost no-one with young children actually does jury service in London because the compensation rate for childcare won't cover the cost and it leaves you hugely out of pocket.