Anyone got an insinkerator?

prit

I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to know, if you have one was it worth it?

What's the biggest thing you can put down it?

I originally thought it sounded like a great idea but now thinking if I need a compost box for banana skins etc then I might as well put all my scraps in the compost.

Would be grateful for any opinions!

I used to have one years ago when I lived in the States. It seems like they were more common there at the time, but maybe they're gaining popularity here? If I were renovating our kitchen I would definitely add one, but it won't necessarily eliminate the need for a bit of composting or food waste recycling.

If you search "insinkerator" on this forum, you can see previous kitchen threads where posters have mentioned it too. xx

I had one in London, and they're very common here in NZ. They cope with pretty much everything except bones, corn cobs, and fruit stones.

Just a note though, the chopped up food goes down the drain with your waste water, it's not (as far as I'm aware) able to be collected to use as compost.

Some greywater collection systems can be modified to compost from the kitchen sink, including material from an insinkerator (nice if you've got the time and space to set it up and maintain it, I guess?!).

Otherwise the kitchen sink waste just forms part of the larger biomass that gets turned over in the general waste treatment processes (so avoid putting excess grease down the drain).

Thames Water are not keen on them at present, but their concerns seem to be mostly based on the installation of low quality machines that don't do the job well enough, incorrect usage, or a mixture of the two.

The top of the range ones mince everything down to virtually nothing and emit what is - pretty much - water. So I think the advice would be - if you're going to do it - fork out properly and buy the best.