Bunk bed advice please!

Due to an expanding family we are going to put our three and five yo in the same room and I'm thinking bunk beds to give them more space to play. I'd previously ruled it out as thought littlest was too young (still has bars on cotbed atm)so I'm looking for something ultra safe. Oldest occasionally falls out of bed and will have to go on top so I'd also like big guards on the side.

So really I'm after some advice on a) whether there are other things I should think about with such little ones (and/or is it just a terrible idea?!) and b) any recommendations for companies that sell good bunk beds?

TIA!

I always wonder with bunk beds - isn't it really difficult to change the sheets? And where would you put a glass of water/book/alarm clock if you can't have a bedside table? And isn't it more awkward to sit next to your child on the top bunk for bedtime stories or a kiss goodnight?

I've wondered about getting one of those raised beds in the past to create more space in my daughter's room but those things always put me off. I'd be interested to know whether other people find any of this to be the case.

Thank you all very much for your comments. They've given me lots of thoughts/ideas and we're biting the bullet and ordering some today. How to put an early riser and a late sleeper in the same room and manage any sleep will be the next challenge!

Thanks again :)

WE have these: https://www.happybeds.co.uk/domino-maple-and-white-finished-sleep-station-childrens-kids-bunk-bed-frame.

There's a shelf for nightitme essentials, big gaurds on the top bunk (these are detachable), and the steps are nice and wide (and they have a refelctive strip). The lower bunk is also high enough for an adult to sit in and read stories.

We are very happy with them.

Sorry!... On a mattress directly on the floor - there's a sheepskin on the floor next to his bed so he doesn't seem to mind occasionally rolling out. My older son also moves around a lot in his sleep but the top bunk is well contained so it's never been a problem. It's given them so much more room to play, and they use the beds as double decker buses and all sorts when they're playing!

We have the Ikea reversible for our 3 and 5yr old too. Recommendation is to put the lower mattress on slats so there is ventilation under it - we bought slats from Ikea too (we got Luroy which is the most basic, but in hindsight wish we'd got the Lonset as the Luroy is a bit slanted). Changing sheets on the top bunk is definitely a bit of a faff and I have to climb up or get my 5 year old to tuck in. Use fitted sheets so generally stay well tucked in.