secondary schools with dyslexia provision?

Hi,just wondering whether anyone out there has any experience of how secondary schools are approaching dyslexia.

We are currently applying for schools for my son,and would really appreciate any advice anyone has on this particular angle.

We're in Camberwell so taking a long shot at Charter East Dulwich but have heard Elm Green(also a long shot)and Deptford Green are supportive.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Hi bettyorange

All state secondary schools should be supportive but some are better than others in practice. I was quite impressed by the SEN offer at Kingsdale. I met the SENCO a few weeks ago and he claims there is no attainment gap between kids with SEN and those without at Kingsdale. He puts this down to well trained staff and an established approach to identifying need in the first term and putting strategies in place. He also said there is no stigma attached to the additional support you get if you have dyslexia / learning needs because the more able children also get this input for various reasons. The most recent Ofsted seems to back this up.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does have a child at Kingsdale, if you have any evidence of whether this is as good as it sounds?

Charter East Dulwich might be another option - the Head is saying the right things about making sure there is no attainment gap for kids with SEN / low prior attainment, and he talks about the interventions the school will put in place early on. But they have so far been working with a small number of children and it's hard to know if they will be able to cope with a bigger and potentially more mixed cohort from 2018.

I think Elm Green does have a dyslexia unit but you have to live in catchment. Not sure about Deptford Green.

Hope that's some help.