9 year old: Xbox? PS? Wii? Madness?!

bee74

Hello everyone

we have a soon to be 9 year old boy and a 6 year old girl (and a dad who is probably more keen!)

We have been thinking of getting a console... is it madness?Is it too soon?

At the moment they only watch about 30 mins of tv or Ipad games a day max. And I will still carry on with this rule.

If you have experience of any of these, which would you recommend?

I know absolutely nothing. I know my son is into Minecraft and football. My daughter does colouring and music games.

Thank you

Hi - we have a ps4 which our 8 and 6 yr olds play on. Only at weekends and mine craft and fifa are two of the games they have. I?m sure we only use a fraction of what the console can do - no online stuff etc, but managed to get it free (ish) when my husband realised he had a lifetime of nectar points he had never cashed in!!

The one thing that I find annoying is that a lot of the games my eldest wants - like some of the Star Wars games, are rated 16. He also likes Knack, which is a 7, but a lot of the more interesting games are for older kids. Other than that I have no clue about any of the consoles. We are not nearly as strict about screen time and they will spend more than half an hour on that and tv/Ipad at the weekends.

Hi Bee74

We are selling an Xbox 360, controllers, driving wheel etc plus a load of kids games if you are interested (post in 'Items for sale' thread)

My son got it when he was about 9 and has since upgraded to another Xbox.

I find it's like any screen, you decide as a family what is acceptable for you and then set the limits from there.

Good luck!