Urgent child care advice needed - 6 month old

Calsug

Our 6 month old is due to start nursery 3 days a week from next week and we had the first of his settling in days today and are a bit concerned about how it went...

Firstly he is the youngest in the baby room with the other babies being 9-12 months

He isn't weened at all yet and the staff were asking what to do with him at snack time and what he would normally eat?!

During lunch time they said he would need to be in a high chair so the other babies can be fed but he can't fully support himself so how is this possible?!

Although the nursery advertises taking babies from 3-4 months they said they hadn't had a 6 month old for quite some time

A few other comments have left my wife and I totally in shock and a bit worried about sending him there despite us paying for the month coming.

What should we do?! Talk to the manager and express our concerns is of course the first step but I am thinking to look for other options - the issue is my wife is due back at work next week!

Thanks

Calsug

Firstly, it's your baby and whenever you have a concern act upon it. I would suggest you contact the nursery again today and ask to come for a visit again. Write down your concerns and address them with the manager. Ask yo see the baby room and have a chat with the room lead. That person may have a different take then the person you spoke to. Look at the equipment the hair chairs the sleeping arrangements and the kitchen where the bottles are stored. How many staff are in the baby room. I could go on but I won't

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this stress. I agree with all the advice above regarding trying to speak to the manager and establish whether you might be able to get further clarification about how well set up for babies they are. Also, if the nursery is part of a chain, you could try talking to somebody further up the food chain - if they become aware that there are issues and they are advertising as being open to younger babies they may wish to take steps to ensure the setting is appropriate.

All that said, I think you are right to be concerned on the back of those comments and wise to consider other options. You might consider a nanny or nanny share (and this could be for just six months or so until your child approaches an age where most nurseries are more set up) - you could advertise on the forum or there are several local FB groups and agencies you could try. Alternatively, you could try and find a childminder. Finally, although it's quite late in the day, you might have some luck with other nurseries - have you considered looking at nurseries closer to work than home for more options?

Good luck with it all x

Thanks for the comments so far, really appreciated

We looked at a number of nurseries round us and to be honest at the time this one seemed like the best one which has further added to the frustration / upset.

Carebeer as you suggested we are starting to think that maybe a nanny/nanny share could be good short term option until he is bigger and more able to "fend for himself"!!

Hi Calsug, it?s really stressful leaving a little one at nursery for the first time and it?s very important you address all your concerns with the manager to help reassure you. I would request an urgent meeting and be very honest about your reservations. We had similar reservations when our daughter started nursery at 9 months but now she loves it at 17 months. It does take a long while for them to feel completely settled though. From experience, there tends to be less experienced staff that are very much still learning amongst more experienced/confident staff members that manage and oversee them. Maybe with the snack question they were just trying to find out whether they could offer him anything such as pur?ed fruit when the other babies are eating their snacks so he isn?t left out? In terms of the high chair my daughter wouldn?t sit in one for ages and had to be fed on the carer?s lap so they just have to go with the needs of the child rather than what?s convenient for them! Often I have found that the nursery workers are great hands on with the babies but are not always great communicating with adults, so they don?t always come across well. I would consider giving the nursery a chance and perhaps just leaving your son for a few hours initially if at all possible. All the best, Belle.

Thanks to everyone for PMs and replies

The Dellows - think your post is spot on. We had a good talk to the nursery and so far the settling in seems to be going okay. Think we are going to give it till Christmas and then decide what to do