Advice on double buggies for 18month old and newborn please!

megmj

I had two 15 months apart and a narrow communal hallway. I found the Phil & Teds buggy really great, my older son fit in the under seat until well over 2 years old and he loved going both on top and below - he would fit in the top seat even now and he's over 4. Good luck finding the right thing for you!

Side by sides can be really tricky getting into various doorways, so I'd say a tandem. We've really liked the P&T and our older one quickly learned she couldn't climb into the back seat without someone holding the buggy because it would tip over (something to note). Our older one is a tall 5yr old and in a pinch she can still fit in the front seat as well (and has been known to climb in the back too!).

Mine were 17 months apart and we had a mountain buggy duet - I walked everywhere with it and loved it - it's so easy to push. I never had a problem getting through any doors. Its quite big to put in a car boot though but if you are using it mainly for walking, I'd really recommend it. I did a lot of research and I'm really glad I went for the mountain buggy duet as it made my life very easy and you can attach a carrycot when they are newborn too.

we had a city jogger city mini - side by side, but still fits most victorian narrow hallways and is very easy to push around. I think it's a little larger than the mountain buggy duet (but can't be sure)... but it has suited us for almost two years. It lies flat too for tiny baby stage.

Phil and teds are good EXCEPT for the awkward period when your baby outgrows the newborn/bassinet setting and isn't big enough for the 6month plus setting. and if you need your 18mo to nap in the pram id also caution against it as most models won't recline.

for this reason i would say get a duet or i would also look at Icandy. the candy orange has a built in buggy board too which id be keen to have a look at had it been available when i had mine!

also i love the baby jogger city select.

my main bit of advice though is to buy second hand then if you find it doesn't suit you or your needs change you can sell it on.

i used the new mountain buggy duet v3 it fitted in small spaces and all doors but seemed cheaply made and to put the seat and bassinet on was quiet tricky. Ended up taking it back as i didn't get on with it, the wheels kept clicking and got a puncture and then went for the ub vista and it is amazing, seems great quality so easy to change to double and singe, a great bassinet that you can use over night and really nice to push and good size basket even when in a double and easy to collapse into the car. I have 18m gap

We have a 17 month age gap similar to you and used a Phil and teds from the day our youngest was born. I loved it, easy to navigate and a easy for them both to fall asleep in all the way up to when your eldest dropped his nap aged around 3. Narrow design was great as easy to get on and off public transport. I?m selling our Phil and teds if you are interested?