Views on Bessemer Grange / Lyndhurst / St Johns

Hi - another request for parent views to help me make up my mind at the last minute!

With the deadline fast approaching, I'm still finding myself torn between the two schools I think we are realistically likely to get a place at: Bessemer or Lyndhurst. (I'd also love insights into GG and St Johns, as know fewer (if any) parents at those two).

We're about equidistant from both Lyndhurst and Bessemer Grange, basically. I really like aspects of each school, and just cannot decide. Bessemer: - I loved the head, the management overall, strong sense of vision, in-house before and after school clubs, the outside space, the nature garden, the excellent results... Lyndhurst appeals as a great community school with a truly mixed, diverse community, a lovely nurturing approach that looks after every child, and a good location. I will know families already at Lyndhurst but not at Bessemer (yet!). I also slightly worry that Bessemer is too big.

Goose Green is nearer than either of these, and was very interested to read another post and the replies to it. I did really like the feel of it but am (perhaps foolishly) still concerned about the recent Ofsted, although I thought the new head seemed great and the school (and parents we met at coffee) were very welcoming and positive... and the school had a lovely, energetic vibe.

Or St Johns? more roundabout walk, and we may well not get in with sibling numbers etc...

But it's Bessemer and Lyndhurst I am really weighing up. I appreciate the forum may get fewer Lyndhurst parents on here but any insights welcome!

We must live pretty close as were in a very similar situation at this time last year! We loved Lyndhurst for similar reasons but knew it was very unlikely being just on the edge of the catchment. We also liked Bessemer for similar reasons as you and had the same concerns about size, nevertheless is was our number 1 from beginning of viewings til January... until we went to the last open day of Goose Green. At that point who would fill the heads position was still very much in the air, Ofsted etc was a consideration and much discussed by all many fellow parents (namely those without children at the school FYI!) but we loved the school & we decided it felt right for us. Being at the heart of our community, the lovely teachers who had been there for many years, the smaller entry (only 2 form) and many other factors meant we felt it was the right choice for us and now in our second term I can?t tell you how pleased we are that we made that decision. Our daughter is very happy and so are we to be a part of such a lovely school at the heart of our community. And the new head is great!

Whatever you decide, hope you get your first choice! All the best

Hello

Worth having a look at this thread for opinions on St Johns

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1883433,1886729#msg-1886729

My daughter is in year one and my youngest will be also starting this year. We are very happy. It's a lovely school with a great community feel. We were fortunate and were in a good catchment for 3 or 4 schools but we like SJSC the best for its diversity, community feel and it's space. We also liked the fact that it wasn't focused on one area of learning but had strengths across key subjects plus music, arts and sports etc

We are not religious but I think the fact it is a religious school can put people off. Although I am not religious I do like the structure that it gives the kids. Its a good grounding for behaviour and attitude to others. I certainly don't feel like it's over religious though.

Having the playground next door is also a massive plus as it's feels like an extension of the school for the kids and us parents. Nice to wander over after school for them to let off steam and us to catch up

Feel free to PM me any questions. I am sure you will be happy whichever school you go for

Hi, I'm a Goose Green mum with two children in reception and year three. Both kids started in the nursery and we have been really happy with the school from the start. There is a lovely, welcoming school community. The kids love their teachers and we've been impressed with the teaching - as we are with the new Headteacher. We feel lucky to be part of such a lovely school.

Sorry I don't have any experience of Bessemer or Lyndhurst so can't comment. Best of luck with your application.

I think you really have to go with your gut feeling - can you fit in another visit to the schools before the deadline? Bessemer was our first choice for my son who is now in year 5 and my daughter who is in year 3. It is a fantastic school and has a real sense of community. As you have said, the three different playgrounds for different age groups are great and mean that kids only spend playtimes with one other year group above or below them. The nature garden is a real asset too.

The senior leadership team are really dedicated and my kids have been taught by the most amazing teachers. They also go on lots of great trips - generally to the Unicorn theatre once a term and to other interesting places. Re the size, it's never been a problem for me but then I only have experience of having kids at a 3-form entry school. I tend to think that having a wider range of kids to mix with is a good thing for friendship options and having 3 classes in a year means the school can switch around who's in which class to get the best mix of personality and ability and split up any troublesome combinations. It also means that kids can be taught for maths (and lower down the school for phonics too)in different ability groups with a different teacher for each group (rather than one teacher teaching the full ability range at once). I know this is not something all parents are keen on but in my experience it seems to help make sure children achieve the best they can.

I'm sure there are also lots of plus points about going to a smaller school too. Good luck with your decision. And pm me if you have any questions.

I have a son in year 1 and and daughter in reception at Goose Green and I am very happy with the school. The kids both love the school and it has a great sense of community with a good mix of children. The new head is great, super dynamic and really approachable and the reception teachers and teaching assistants are just lovely.

The reception class opens at 8.45am allows you to stay with your child until 9.10 to settle them, reading or other activities which suited my two and really helped them adjust to school.

I have friends with children at Bessemer and St Johns and they both love the schools.

I agree it's best to go with your gut instinct and go with the school which has the vibe you think will best suit your child.

Hi

I have children in years 2 and 3 at Goose Green. I echo the comments above about the head teacher being amazing and welcoming. It's a really lovely community and we're really happy.

I had a very strong instinct about the school when I did the parent tour and despite the OFSTED that has never wavered. So I also agree about gut instinct. Good luck with your decision. If you want to ask anything more about Goose Green, I'm happy to answer any questions if you PM me.

Thank you so much to all the replies I've had, both posted publicly and in PMs. It seems that there are so many reasons to choose any of the schools I have listed, and I'm really grateful for the advice. I'm still not sure which I am going to put first, and I think all four will definitely go down on the list.

Thanks again.

I have 4 kids at Bessemer and we are very happy with the school.it has a lovely sense of community. The size of the school has never been an issue for us.

The outdoor space at Bessemer is great, I didn?t see any schools with anything like what they have when we were in your position a few years ago. In addition to the 4 playgrounds and the nature garden, each of the year 1 and 2 classrooms has its own courtyard (something which you might not see on the tours) and they get to use Jags sports fields sometimes too.

You are in a lucky position to have a choice of so many schools you like.