Family dog suggestions

jules79

Hi All

I am looking for some advise before taking the plunge and adding a dog to our family.

We live locally with a large garden on a quiet street. My husband and I both work so are out of the house for up to 8 hrs a day however I work from home at least one day a week. We have twins who are 6 and they have a nanny who loves dogs so a dog would have company before and after school. We also have 2 cats.

We are an active family and spend most weekends in the garden, park etc so a dog would get plenty of attention and exercise.

I would arrange a local dog walker / puppy sitter to make sure they had the day broken up by a lunchtime walk.

My question is which breed do you think would be best? I am thinking nothing too small as I would want it to get lost in our busy household but also nothing massive as the children are still smallish. And preferably a breed that does not shed very much.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Loads of factors to consider! Labradors are great family dogs, chilled with the kids BUT they do she'd an awful lot! Non shedding doodle mixes are lovely (cockapoos, Cavapoos, Labradoodles, etc) BUT they need loads of brushing&grooming to avoid having a dog that is constantly matted.you may want to consider going to Crufts or Discover Dogs to meet different breeds to help you decide. You could also join Borrow my doggy, to give it all a try? Another factor is Where to get the dog from. Make sure you don't buy a puppy from the Internet. Best place to look is the UK Kennel Club website. You csn search different breeds/breeders in specific areas. Only buy from a genuine breeder. Be careful, there are a lot of crooks out there! Don't rush. Wait for the right dog. Good luck with it all. It's a huge commitment but amazingly rewarding. ;)

Mini schnauzer or mini labradoodle- both are ?allergy friendly ?.easy to train good family dogs, portable in that you can pick them up and carry them understand your arm. Other breed is Border Terrier. Downside t mini Schnauzer is they need to be clipped every 6/8 weeks.

Battersea Dogs home have lots of lovely dogs that need homes. Because you have young children and cats you would need to get a puppy, but Battersea fully vet them first for temperament. I have two beautiful dogs from there and they live with a very busy, 3 children family.

We have had a greyhound for 3wks and can?t recommend them highly enough (as I write him and my 7yr old are laying together on the floor!!

We adopted him from Dunrunnin a retired greyhound trust rehoming kennel in Brands Hatch & they continue to offer amazing post-adoption support & even offer kennelling (for a v v reasonable price) for holidays.

Exercise wise they don?t need much - the nickname 40mph couch potatoes doesn?t come for nothing!!