Advice - move from Independent Sector to DHJS

Hi all,

We are planning a move from Central London where our children are currently enrolled in independent schools. The likely school our daughter would attend is Dulwich Hamlet Junior School. I haven't seen any posts on moves from independent to state sector - could mums local to the area advise on the differences I might expect between an independent school in central London, and DHJS, which seems to be an academically excellent state school? My daughter is thriving in her independent school, but our living space is small, we have 3 children, school fees insanely expensive, and frankly, it just seems silly to be paying out these kinds of fees for someone to teach her to read.

I'd love to know what tangible differences I may expect academically (familiar with class size difference, so looking deeper than that), as well as anything else that may come into play that I have not yet considered.

Please know I am very thankful to be able to provide either scenario for my daughter, just looking for some local mum advice from others who may have had similar considerations.

Thanks so much.

My DC have all gone to DHJS. Its a lovely state school, all children play an instrument, there are orchestras, lots of after school clubs, they compete against the local private schools in sport, lots of day trips. I could go on and on about the positives. The downfall moving from an independent is that you will find there is little to no homework. If your daughter is excelling where she is and is being challenged she may find that she wont be pushed to the same extent. My children got very little homework and even in yr 6 its one piece a week with a little mathletics. I know parents who moved there children in yr 3 to prep schools as they wanted to ensure their children were being pushed enough and also prepared fully for private entrance at 11. The school will not be doing anything to support any children who are planning to sit 11+ for entrance to secondary independents. Their priority is the SATS which is perfectly reasonable given they are a state school. A lot of children were receiving private tuition in preparation for 11+. Very few children get into the local top private school JAGs, DC, Alleyns. This will only be a consideration if your looking at a return to private in secondary. I will reiterate again though it is a great school!

I have been very happy with the education my children have received at DHJS. They have very good sports and music provision and they focus on a rounded education not just the academics so children enjoy school as well as their childhood; they have lots of other fun opportunities to learn like trips and enrichment activities. About 10% to 15% move to the independent sector for year 7, I believe this is more to do with how expensive it is and because we have very good state secondaries around. The majority move to The Charter North Dulwich which is the closest state school to the Hamlet. Children who are sitting 11 plus get tutored and move to JAGs, Alleyn's, St Dustan?s, Sydenham High, and Dulwich College. As the previous poster said only a small proportion move to top independent because they are highly competitive.

You may want to look at this school too http://www.honeywellschools.org/ which is another very good junior school in Clapham.

By the way, I know someone who moved from the independent sector to DHJS for a year and went back to the independent sector as she felt her child was learning what she have already learned and was not pushed academically and she wanted her child to go to one of the top independents in year 7. Her child got into a good independent but not the top independent she wanted to so I think going back to the independant made not difference and she would have probably got the same school going to the Hamlet wih some tutoring.

What would you say is a 'good' independent and what is a 'top' independent? There are schools which are suitable for some children and very wrong for others. If a child isn't bright enough to go to a highly academic school no amount of extra tutoring will help. It may get them in but unleash a world of pain once they're in and can't cope.

Allechre in answer to your question my children moved to independent schools from DHJS. Two boys went to Whitgift and my daughter is currently in St Dunstans. My 4th child is starting in DUCKS nursery as we have decided we want him in private from reception. I am not a supporter of the local state secondary namely charter. My eldest move their from independent in 6th form as we thought it would be better for him to be closer to home. I wont go into detail but we regretted that decision. However for most of the kids that go there they are very happy so I wouldn't want to put anyone off because I had a bad experience.

Allechre, are you planning on moving your child back to the independent sector after primary? Or is part of your move to Dulwich a shift from school fees into paying for a larger home?

If it is a temporary shift you may wish to stay private as the two systems do work quite differently, and it would put an unnecessary strain on your child.

If it is permanent, then there are plenty of good schools in this area, and finding tutors to help stretch your child's learning is a good way to bridge the gap. You might also like to consider the fact that many of our local state schools are eligible for lower offer places at Russell Group Universities. This means that there is an even playing field, academically, when students move from school to further education.

Flocker Spotter, thanks for your message, very helpful.

I didn't know that about the local state secondary schools, which is really helpful. I'm not married to changing at secondary level - just want the best quality of education. If the state sector can get me there, I'd much prefer it, to be honest.

At any rate, these responses have been so overwhelmingly helpful - I just can't wait to move to Dulwich, and get stuck in with this lovely, supportive community. ;)

lorraine34cat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My DC have all gone to DHJS. Its a lovely state

> school, all children play an instrument, there are

> orchestras, lots of after school clubs, they

> compete against the local private schools in

> sport, lots of day trips. I could go on and on

> about the positives. The downfall moving from an

> independent is that you will find there is little

> to no homework. If your daughter is excelling

> where she is and is being challenged she may find

> that she wont be pushed to the same extent. My

> children got very little homework and even in yr 6

> its one piece a week with a little mathletics. I

> know parents who moved there children in yr 3 to

> prep schools as they wanted to ensure their

> children were being pushed enough and also

> prepared fully for private entrance at 11. The

> school will not be doing anything to support any

> children who are planning to sit 11+ for entrance

> to secondary independents. Their priority is the

> SATS which is perfectly reasonable given they are

> a state school. A lot of children were receiving

> private tuition in preparation for 11+. Very few

> children get into the local top private school

> JAGs, DC, Alleyns. This will only be a

> consideration if your looking at a return to

> private in secondary. I will reiterate again

> though it is a great school!

Not sure if things have changed as my child is now 19 and attended DHJS for the last few years of primary education.

Not every child played an instrument and she certainly had a lot of homework.

Hammerman all the children at the school have an opportunity to play an instrument and I can assure you in the past 7 years since my various children attended none of them got very much homework. Even now my yr six son has had once piece of homework set on a friday for submission the following wednesday. Some mathletics and that is it. Clearly things have changed since your daughter was there.

Things have certainly changed and are as per Lorraine said at the moment. Everyone has a chance to play an instrument, but you need to pay for the lessons, it is cheaper than independently though